- Post launch, users will be able to select their server by the ping or the region that's notated next to the server.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse server selection is driven by the party leader. Whatever region they have selected will apply to their friends and squad.
We'll have a multitude of servers located throughout to the various regions of the world; and those servers will be good connection points for- and will be driven by- I mean there's two types of servers I'm sorry: For the alpha-1 arena those will be driven by the party leader right; and wherever whatever region they have selected if they invite friends to their squad or whatever, they'll be able to play on that region. With regards to live launch when the server's go live, you'll be selecting a server to play on; and that will be your character's home; and that server you'll be aware of where that server is located usually by either a ping or a region that's notated on next to the server. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Regions
- 2 Alpha-1 servers
- 3 Testing server wipes
- 4 Server population
- 5 Server reservations
- 6 Server prime-time
- 7 Server transfers
- 8 Server instancing
- 9 Server vs server
- 10 Metrics
- 11 Server types
- 12 Headstart servers
- 13 Server maintenance
- 14 Server-wide announcements
- 15 Server history
- 16 Unreal engine 4 (Custom back-end)
- 17 Procedural generation
- 18 Server hosting
- 19 See also
- 20 References
- North America (NA).
- Europe (EU).
- Asia/Pacific (SEA).
- Oceania (OCE) (Australia).
At this stage we do not have numbers on how many different servers will exist for different regions. We've said in the past 8-10,000 concurrent users per server is what we'd like to aim for. Obviously, the number of servers that exist in a region are going to be dependent on the population that's playing. – Steven Sharif
- South America is under consideration due to traffic from that region.
Once we get closer to launch we'll update this information, which may include additional regions.
- Players will be able to make characters on any server they wish. There will be no region locking (outside of harmonized regions).
- Italian, Polish and Spanish localization will then be added.
- Spanish will be added in the near future.
- Other languages are being considered.
There's localization that will be present in the German and French Russian languages to start; and then we intend to also localize in Italian, Polish and Spanish. So servers will be allocated within the region as being one of those language type servers. So it's not going to be per country per se as it might be per language. – Steven Sharif
- Translation will be done in the game client based on interest.
- User interface localization tools are available in the chat window.
- US East.
- US West.
- EU East.
- EU West.
Testing server wipes
- Alpha-1 testing phases will include full wipes.
- Servers may also be wiped between individual tests, unless the developers require progression to be saved for certain spot tests.
- Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected.
- The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers. There may be queues to get into high population servers, but the aim is to avoid excessively long queues.
Part of the equation of essentially watching to make sure that we don't over populate the server selection, but at the same time making sure that there's not a queue system in place that's so long it's detrimental to the concurrency of the player's will to play so to speak. It's a tough balancing act. – Steven Sharif
Population based scaling
Things that NPCs buy and sell kind of scale based on the economic activity that exists on that server... As inflation rises, prices rise and everything kind of ends up being equal, even though there might be a couple of extra zeros. So that can go up and it can also go down so as a population leaves, things become less expensive and players don't have to do as much to earn that. On the other side of things we look at the node system and the node system is set up in this really flexible way that allows us to scale the experience needed to level a node and the attrition that delevels a node to scale based on activity too. So you know it's just a matter of adjusting a couple of constants and that goes up and down and the server can watch it and change those on the fly as it needs to. – Jeffrey Bard
This would likely be utilized more so by guilds than that would be solo or unaffiliated players; and I believe that the solo player they may have friends that they want to play with. That's fine, they can also still with those friends do the reservation system, but the player who is just joining the game fresh and doesn't have a community that they're part of, I don't think they really mind in that regard and will not utilize that system. – Steven Sharif
- Accounts will have name reservation tokens, that entitle its holder to reserve a name on a specific server when the reservation time comes.
Objective-based events such as Node sieges, Castle sieges, Guild wars, and Node wars will occur within a prime-time window somewhere between 3PM and 9PM server time. This is subject to testing.
Dungeons and Raids
- No loading time or loading screens between regions.
- Instancing is only going to happen in certain dungeons where the desire is to have greater narrative appeal. Outside of these and arenas there will not be too much instancing anywhere else.
- There will be an 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters.
- There is no instancing in Alpha-1.
- Arenas will have 1 man, 3 man, 5 man and possibly 20 man Free-For-All (Deathmatch) group sizes.
- There will be an arena ladder system.
- Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
- The arena system may support cross-server combat.
- Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.
Server vs server
- There may be monthly competitions where the winning server and winning team receive beneficial buffs for the month.
When you're talking about Arena play especially, one server might not be able to support that depending on what's going on with it, but across all the servers then we've got a really great pool for matchmaking. – Jeffrey Bard
- Number of successful siege defenses.
- Number of successful siege assaults.
- Number of PvP kills.
- Raid participation points.
- Number of firsts.
Visibility of those types of things on the server help to promote a competitive atmosphere. If there is an attainable impression that you can work towards, so that others know your success, you have more drive to succeed. – Steven Sharif
- There won't be separate roleplaying (RP) servers.
- There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers.
- There is a balance between PvP and PvE in Ashes of Creation.
- All stats relate to a player's combat effectiveness in PvX.
- There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers but some servers may be more PvP focused than others.
- There will not be different PvP and PvE gear types.
- Progression in the game might require PvE elements.
We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
Scheduled server downtime will occur on a weekly basis.
- Castle sieges.
- Node sieges.
- Legendary world boss spawns.
- Monster coin events.
- Dungeon opportunities.
- Expedition (stage 1) and Encampment (stage 2) nodes will announce within proximity of the node.
- Village (stage 3) nodes will have region-wide announcements.
- Town (stage 4) and higher will likely broadcast world-wide.
Whether it be like a siege or a triggered event against a city or like a unique dungeon opportunity... those types of things are going to involve notifications. Especially to the citizens of the city; where you'll be informed of an impending event. Basically it will give you time. – Steven Sharif
We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- History of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
Reports of information to the library may expire after a period of time (say one week). After which new reports will be required to update the existing information.
You'll get that shroud of war functionality for the week after a report but if it doesn't receive a follow-up report after that expiration period then it will not be updating real time. – Steven Sharif
Unreal engine 4 (Custom back-end)
- Ashes of Creation will feature a custom Unreal Engine back-end with proprietary networking code to enable mass combat in the open world: such as PvP, Node sieges, Castle sieges, Dungeons and World bosses.
- The networking solution dynamically distributes processes and scales up necessary server instances to accommodate player density across the world.
We're ripping out most of the network code that Unreal has and putting in our own just so that it works with our game and so everything is as efficient as possible. We're not going to have any replication problems because we're building it ourselves. – Jeffrey Bard
One of the most important things about Epic Games as the creators of Unreal Engine is the way they've allowed developers to have access to the source code. To be able to do that makes the engine very versatile. – Steven Sharif
- The Ashes of Creation Apocalypse stress test was hosted by Microsoft servers in the US Midwest (Ohio).
- Google was the original candidate for server hosting.
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (37:03).
- Official Livestream - May 4th @ 3 PM PST - Q&A
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (48:13).
- Interview, 8 May 2017 (22:06).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (40:50).
- Ashes of Creation FAQ: Where will your servers be?
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (26:41).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (47:54).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:21:03).
- What languages will Ashes of Creation be in?
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (2:35).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:09:22).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (45:49).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (3:19).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (1:21:49).
- Alpha one test schedule, Mar 12, 2021.
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (7:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (59:25).
- Video, 6 September 2018 (4:25).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (12:56).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (10:04).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (39:15).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:06:43).
- Voyager plus pre-order pack
- Adventurer pre-order pack
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (31:05).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (13:13).
- Interview, 8 July 2020 (22:37).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (36:26).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (35:42).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (1:05:34).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (11:04).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (20:59).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:48:36).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (24:17).
- Livestream, 23 August 2017 (16:44).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (16:53).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (48:12).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (52:20).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (29:13).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (11:04).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (36:21).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (29:05).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:47:21).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (58:50).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (44:10).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (35:27).
- MMORPG Interview, 12 December 2016.
- Video, 16 April 2018 (1:32).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (38:31).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (24:52).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (33:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (14:05).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (37:39).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (25:53).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (48:14).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (24:48).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (1:01:10).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:01:00).
- Interview, 20 April 2018 (9:20).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (27:34).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (26:50).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (10:11).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:07:14).
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (39:23).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (54:54).