It's the fourth anniversary of Ashes of Creation Wiki! Thanks for all of your wonderful support over the years.
Dungeons and Raids
- There will be some open dungeons that have bosses at the end of the dungeons. There will be some open dungeons that just have a multitude of dungeon bosses, not necessarily world raids or something; and there will be lots of different rooms and they'll be progressive in the sense that in the earlier parts of the dungeon they'll be lower level and then at the later parts of the dungeons deeper down they'll be higher level and more difficult; and that creates again I think an ecosystem of where players across a multitude of levels have an opportunity to coexist within certain areas of the world; and that's good from a social dynamic. It's good from a recruitment dynamic. It's good from just a liveliness and relevance of particular areas. So that you don't end up with these locations that once you pass a certain level like it's empty. – Steven Sharif
- Instancing is only going to happen in certain dungeons where the desire is to have greater narrative appeal. Outside of these and arenas there will not be too much instancing anywhere else.
- There will be an 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters.
- There is no instancing in Alpha-1.
- Q: When you reach the bosses in [open world] dungeons can you be jumped?
- A: For the most part if there are bosses at the end of dungeons, it is possible for you to get jumped. – Steven Sharif
The arena system as we've spoken about before is going to have ladder systems where people can progress within certain seasons based on their win/loss ratios. The importance of arenas are obviously that players have an opportunity to participate [and] practice out certain builds from a PvP perspective and can compete with one another within the system. – Steven Sharif
- Arenas will have 1 man, 3 man, 5 man and possibly 20 man Free-For-All (Deathmatch) group sizes.
- There will be an arena ladder system.
- Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
- The arena system may support cross-server combat.
- Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.
- Sieges occur once a month within a server prime-time window.
- The minimum goal is for 250x250 players to be on a single battlefield. It is hoped that this can be increased to 500x500 over time.
- Castle sieges (in the final release) may or may not be instanced.
Each week leading up to the siege week... is a week that's dedicated to one of the three castle dedicated nodes. So around the castle there are three nodes. They represent week, one, two, and three; and then the fourth week is the siege against the castle. Those can only be elevated up to stage three. We've discussed this in the past and there's definitely information out there on the community ran wiki. – Steven Sharif
- In the first three weeks that a guild occupies a castle they will need to level up each of their castle nodes to Village stage through questing.
- The fourth week is declaration week, where other guilds have the opportunity to lay down their declaration flag or to sign up as a defender of the castle.
- Depending on how well the guild defends their castle nodes results in better defenses for the castle.
- Different siege weaponry will grant the attackers the ability to destroy walls, doors and sections of the castle in order to gain access to the inner keep area.
- When castles change hands (following a siege), some taxes stay with the castle and some stay with the guild.
There will be benefits to attracting people... even if they're not in your guild or alliance – kind of a feudal like system, where you can attract other players who are just independent of this whole politic. They will have things to do there - benefits to receive - and there will be a reciprocal relationship between who you can attract, what they do for you; and how that benefits you and them. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 castle sieges
- Players will be able to join guilds. These guilds can register for the siege events.
- Castle siege events will be 100v100 battles that occur daily and will last for three hours.
- Attackers will start on the opposite end of the map (from the defenders).
- Attackers will be able to use trebuchets to drive to and assault the castle.
- When the attackers have breached the castle they will be able to channel a cast on the relic in the throne room to try to capture the castle from the defenders.
- The victors of castle sieges will receive benefits, such as cloaks, flying mounts for guild leaders and potentially also for guild officers.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges are in a separate zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Currently the siege zone is actually in the open world, but separated by mountains and off in the sea a bit. There is actually no instancing in A1, although the siege zone will only be accessible in A1 through a registration NPC teleporter. – Steven Sharif
- The opposing team is notified when these raid bosses are being attacked.
- Teams who get the last hit on these bosses will receive buffs that will help them in the siege battle.
Last year, I spoke of attempting to incorporate sieges into the Alpha One experience. This has obviously been a goal of mine because it provides considerable data and a consistent event within the world that players can participate in to help stress test the deployment. Well, I am happy to say that it is appearing more and more likely by the day! Initial implementation of the Apocalypse siege code has been migrated into the Alpha One client, and we should begin internal testing next month. I will caveat this expectation with the fact that we are cutting it a bit close from an internal QA standpoint, but I have some confidence that the system will be online and capable of inclusion for the Alpha One test in the month of June. The siege component will obviously not be representative of what the siege system will be at launch, or even in Alpha Two. – Steven Sharif
- Destructible structures (such as walls and gates) are present in Alpha-1 castle sieges.
Apartments are internal only (instanced) spaces within a node that offer some housing functionality. There will be an initial 50 apartments available for purchase when a node advances to a Village (stage 3). Additional apartment buildings can be built at Town (stage 4) if the mayor chooses to construct them and if there is an available plot to do so.
- The number of available apartments increases as a normal part of node advancement.
- It was previously stated that apartments would be available at Town (stage 4) or above.
The mayor may additionally construct apartment buildings when the node hits stage 4 at one of the building plots in the node, along with cities gaining additional static housing and apartments by default as a normal part of the leveling process. – Steven Sharif
- Podcast, 29 September 2021 (34:11).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (1:05:34).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (11:04).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (20:59).
- Podcast, 29 September 2021 (35:17).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:48:36).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (24:17).
- Video, 16 July 2017 (0:01).
- Livestream, 24 September 2021 (1:22:46).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (16:53).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (48:12).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (52:20).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (29:13).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (11:04).
- Video, 28 May 2021 (25:44).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (31:05).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (13:13).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (49:40).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (41:18).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:43:03).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (21:55).
- Livestream, 23 August 2017 (23:00).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (15:14).
- Video, 28 May 2021 (24:44).
- Video, 30 April 2021 (19:25).
- Video, 28 May 2021 (19:04).
- Video, 30 April 2021 (13:02).
- Livestream, 28 May 2021 (1:04:29).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (52:01).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Steven Sharif - Clarification points from today’s stream.
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (36:26).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (35:42).