Unreal Engine 5
Unreal Engine 5 is the graphical engine for Ashes of Creation. The game was originally developed in Unreal Engine 4. Migrating to UE5 required some front-end work, but in the long run it will be easier to do so in the alpha phases of the game, rather than closer to release, or post-release. The developers expect that the transition to Unreal Engine 5.1.1 to be complete in February 2023. This was previously slated for January 2023.
- Unreal Engine 5 enables improved forms of locomotion/animation (motion warping), such as crouching, tilting and mantling.
What it provides in my opinion as person who enjoys PvP is it adds additional dynamics to what is possible from your opponent or from yourself. You know, if there is a ledge and jumping off that ledge is going to deal a lot of damage to me when I hit the ground and that puts me at a significant disadvantage, maybe I have an option to jump off the ledge at a point where I can mantle onto the side of a cliff or something. Now the give and take there is I won't be able to use my skills while I'm mantled. I won't be able to react easily, but I didn't have to take the fall damage per-se. Or if there's an obstruction and you know I'm going to take a significant reduction in speed so that I can crouch and make it past that, and now I have a effective line of sight has been obstructed as a result of that decision. I think it adds interesting elements to the battlefield and the key here is going to be making sure that it's not cumbersome- that it doesn't feel opposite of the flow of combat. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 Lumen provides enhanced global illumination and Nanite enables increased graphical fidelity in the game (without excessive overhead).
- The recommended system specs for the game have not changed for Unreal Engine 5.
Nanite brings us really an entirely new approach to rendering and art workflows. Now we can render more actors with extremely high detail while eliminating the need to bake out normal map textures. For artists essentially what this means is that they can import high quality sculpted meshes directly into Unreal 5 without really having to reduce the poly count, making the workflow more efficient while simultaneously improving the quality of the art. – Steven Sharif
Lumen is going to greatly improve the visual fidelity and performance of the game with the reduced work and effort that's required by the art team, making Ashes of Creation much more beautiful than in UE4. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 features (such as World partitions and One file per actor) make it much easier for multiple developers to work together.
- World partitions also enable Unreal Engine 5 maps to exceed the map size constraints of UE4 (~20 kilometers squared).
Q: How does this upgrade to UE5 affect the Ashes of Creation release timeline?
A: While UE4 is a great engine, there are certain focuses and technological endeavors that Epic is doing on UE5 that won't necessarily be supported by UE4; and we want to make sure given the lifespan of Ashes and how long we intend this MMO to last, that when we made this decision early on during the development process that we weren't going to exacerbate the amount of effort it would take to move over later in the lifespan or after launch. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation features a custom Unreal Engine back-end with proprietary networking code to enable mass combat in the open world: such as PvP, Node sieges, Castle sieges, Dungeons and World bosses.
- The networking solution dynamically distributes processes and scales up necessary server instances to accommodate player density across the world.
One of the most important things about Epic Games as the creators of Unreal Engine is the way they've allowed developers to have access to the source code. To be able to do that makes the engine very versatile. – Steven Sharif
- The upgrade to Unreal Engine 5 is primarily a change to the front-end side of the game. The custom back-end networking code remains largely unaffected.
Over October and November, that's when McP and the engineers began to do the base migration of our custom code-base into UE5 see where there were any major issues. The great thing about UE5 is that it's mainly focused around updating the renderer- giving access to Nanite, Lumen global illumination- those are big components. There's other great aspects of it, but really it's a front-end change and it doesn't affect our networking layer. It doesn't affect our back-end code. – Steven Sharif
- As of January 24, 2022 all teams have moved over to Unreal Engine 5.
Ashes of Creation was performing at 50-60 FPS on a 1080 Ti during early Alpha-1 testing.
- The game will be highly customizable from a settings standpoint. If you don't quite have the rig necessary to run it, you can dial the game settings down.
- Highly scalable options to adjust rendering and particle effects will be offered.
- Motion blur will be togglable on and off.
- There's a lot of bells-and-whistles that are intended on the client rendering side for these types of features that players will have the ability to scale up or down or off from a performance perspective. – Steven Sharif
A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- We have taken into consideration the rendering and server performance expectations with regards to our character density for events and battles. While testing will help with these performance profiles, we feel good where it is at for the moment, and do not feel we need to compromise our design goals atm. – Steven Sharif
Alpha system requirements
Ashes of Creation alpha testing minimum system specification. These system specs have not changed for Unreal Engine 5.
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
- Processor: Intel Core i3-2125 3.3GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 3.3GHz
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 270
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 50 GB of available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz / AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon R9 Fury with 4GB and DirectX 12
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 50 GB of available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Ashes of Creation will be released on the Windows PC platform.
- Console support may be added at a later point.
- Native Linux support may be possible in future.
Q: Will the upgrade to UE5 affect the supported systems? A lot of people are like linux question mark.
A: It's something that we'll evaluate in the future. I haven't ruled it out necessarily- would see how much work it would take to do that, but really like less than one percent of the player base is using Linux. – Steven Sharif
Landform is a tool developed by Intrepid Studios that enables in-engine sculpting and texture blending within Unreal Engine 5.
The character creator (or character customization system) allows players to define the look of their in-game characters, hired NPCs; and potentially creatures raised by the animal husbandry profession.
- Character appearance can be adjusted through a wide range of presets and sliders.
- Character blending provides easy to use customization by morphing together two or more character presets.
- Character sculpting allows detailed customization of every aspect of the body.
The Ashes of Creation character creator is 100% developed in-house by Intrepid Studios and is not MetaHuman.
Additional character creator features include.
- There will be unlockable features for character customization.
- You have that scar because you participated in this siege, or these many sieges; or you have this tattoo because of your of a cultural background, or because of a quest that was accomplished where you're able to get that. – Steven Sharif
- The beauty of it is that you can save your character- and we already have some of those features available- and load them; and in the future we want people to be able to share those characters amongst each other. – Margaret Krohn
- The ability to undo changes (Ctrl + Z) will be supported, including undoing changes that were made several edits earlier.
- Choosing base idle animations of characters will be possible in future.
- Certain animations, such as blinking, will be present when they don't interfere with the customization process.
- Adjusting the background scene and lighting is a planned feature.
- There's going to be a lot of environmental controls that are offered to the character creator so that people can set it up their scene the way they want to grab screenshots or to grab recordings or whatever they want to do. – Steven Sharif
- Asymmetry in terms of manipulating different components of the body or different body features such as hair, beard, and eyes.
- Asymmetry is going to be functionality that's possible in manipulating either different components of the body or different features like hair. The beard we saw a little bit of that blending with highlights that you can do. Margaret talked a little bit about the eye asymmetry that you can include. Obviously those are going to exist within certain parameters that we want to define on a per-race basis, but it is something that we think is cool. – Steven Sharif
- Body adornments, such as piercings will be possible within cultural limits.
- The developers are considering whether to allow custom tattoos to be uploaded by users.
The aim is for the character creator to be on par if not much better than that of BDO.
Character appearance can be customized in the character creator (CC) and via in-game salons/barbershops.
- We want there to be a lot of room for people to manifest their own identity, to role play how they want to from an appearance standpoint. There's going to be parameters within which you will be able to customize a character. We want the culture and the identity of the races to exist in a range that makes them easily identifiable from other players and other cultures. So, because of that, we have to have a spectrum you can exist on. There will be a lot of hair variants you can do, body art tattoos that you can apply. You'll be able to play with the scales of the facial structure, the bones, the height, width, the body fat percentage. You'll be able to add body hair on different parts of the body. If you want to have hair on your feet, you can dial that up. – Steven Sharif
- Character models are focused on realism.
- A player will see a generic character before customization.
- Character designs will have influences from a wide range of cultures, such as European, African and Asian.
- Lolis will not be in the game.
- Sliders and other controls, such as color palettes, will offer flexibility in customization but there will be limits based on race, gender, and the artistic style guidelines that the developers are adhering to.
- There's going to be constraints to the sliders, so that was one of those big questions as work began on the character creator: How much agency do you want to allow pulling like the lower lip all the way down in this weird deformed look, or having like [an] offset cheek that's just asymmetrical to the side of the face. There's not going to be the ability or agency to create those types of weird character things. However you will have the ability to move, slide, change, grow, decrease all those components, but they'll be kept in a more reasonable and presented way in the same sense you won't be able to change the appearance of the dwarven, nor the Dünir or the Niküan races to, in my opinion, create what would be traditionally considered a Loli character. – Steven Sharif
Sculpting provides the ability to customize different segments of any part of the body in the character creator.
- Plates are used for moving features around.
- Dots are use to change the shape of the character's features altogether.
- Adjusting the length and proportions of limbs.
- Sizes of calves and thighs.
- Adjustments will allow a character to appear more feminine or masculine.
Character blending allows the combination of two or more presets from the character creator. It allows users to click and drag to morph between the different presets to create customized characters without spending time adjusting each angle of every body part.
2022-08-15 2022-07-06 2022-07-02 2022-07-01 2022-07-01 2022-07-01 2022-06-30 2022-06-21 2022-06-08 2022-05-28 2022-05-28 2022-05-27 2022-04-01 2022-03-31 2022-03-31 2022-03-31 2022-03-31 2022-03-31 2022-03-17 2022-01-05 2022-01-04 2022-01-04 2022-01-04 2022-01-04 2022-01-04
Unreal Engine 5 videos
- 2021-12-23 Video - Ashes of Creation Unreal Engine 5 Walkthrough
- 2021-12-27 Video - Ashes of Creation Unreal Engine 5 Preview
- 2022-03-31 Video - Ashes of Creation First Look of the Alpha Two Character Creator in 4K
- 2022-05-27 Video - Ashes of Creation Dynamic Seasons and Weather Developer Chat
- 2022-05-27 Video - Ashes of Creation Seasons in the Riverlands
- 2022-06-30 Video - Ashes of Creation Alpha Two Basic Melee Weapon Attack Update
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Video, December 23, 2021 (0:00).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (19:59).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (40:53).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (50:50).
- ↑ Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:14:41).
- ↑ Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:07:46).
- ↑ Livestream, December 2, 2022 (55:48).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (55:32).
- ↑ Video, December 23, 2021 (23:53).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (54:00).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (52:52).
- ↑ Video, December 23, 2021 (2:54).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (49:39).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (42:09).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (52:58).
- ↑ Livestream, May 3, 2017 (26:50).
- ↑ Livestream, May 24, 2017 (54:54).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (47:51).
- ↑ Livestream, January 28, 2022 (7:26).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:10:09).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:08:42).
- ↑ Livestream, September 24, 2021 (52:48).
- ↑ Livestream, December 17, 2019 (51:20).
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:07:12).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Livestream, August 17, 2018 (1:07:51).
- ↑ Livestream, May 4, 2018 (43:35).
- ↑ Livestream, July 25, 2020 (54:10).
- ↑ Livestream, November 22, 2019 (1:08:05).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1
- ↑ Livestream, March 26, 2021 (12:34).
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 What are the minimum requirements for Alpha?
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 38.2 38.3 38.4 Livestream, December 23, 2021 (48:45).
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Livestream, May 26, 2017 (38:30).
- ↑ Livestream, May 24, 2017 (23:50).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 Livestream, July 29, 2022 (16:49).
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 42.2 Video, March 31, 2022 (34:16).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 43.2 Video, March 31, 2022 (18:47).
- ↑ Video, March 31, 2022 (19:14).
- ↑ Video, March 31, 2022 (0:00).
- ↑ 46.0 46.1
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Livestream, June 30, 2017 (09:43).
- ↑ Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:49).
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 50.3 Video, March 31, 2022 (29:14).
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 51.3 51.4 Video, March 31, 2022 (16:23).
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 Livestream, April 29, 2022 (5:05).
- ↑ Livestream, May 24, 2017 (28:22).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Reddit - Ctrl + Z in the Character Creator (1).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Reddit - Ctrl + Z in the Character Creator (2).
- ↑ Livestream, January 28, 2022 (39:30).
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 Livestream, March 31, 2022 (56:40).
- ↑ Livestream, March 31, 2022 (4:57).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 Livestream, March 31, 2022 (58:47).
- ↑ Livestream, March 31, 2022 (59:36).
- ↑ Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:01:08).
- ↑ Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:11:52).
- ↑ Video, March 31, 2022 (13:47).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (46:51).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:01:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 8, 2017 (47:35).
- ↑ Livestream, May 15, 2017 (51:19).
- ↑ Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (13:39).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2017 (11:21).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2017 (10:04).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2017 (12:39).
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 73.2 Podcast, September 29, 2021 (18:19).
- ↑ Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:00:14).
- ↑ Video, March 31, 2022 (9:23).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:10:46).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2017 (13:13).
- ↑ 79.0 79.1 79.2 79.3 Video, March 31, 2022 (15:21).
- ↑ Video, March 31, 2022 (15:40).
- ↑ 81.0 81.1 Livestream, January 28, 2022 (59:48).
- ↑ Livestream, May 22, 2017 (54:32).