In the world naturally there will be locations that are going to have a mix of different levels of monsters and difficulty levels; and then those spawn tables relate to the development of nearby nodes. So as nodes develop they'll be changing the spawn tables around them to reflect their further development in the world, presenting new and more difficult dangers that the players can participate in. – Steven Sharif
- 1 NPC types
- 2 NPC races
- 3 NPC racial interaction
- 4 Reputation
- 5 NPC perception
- 6 Voice acting
- 7 NPC languages
- 8 Node types
- 9 Player stalls
- 10 Banking
- 11 Day and night cycle
- 12 Transportation of goods
- 13 Artificial intelligence
- 14 Population based scaling
- 15 Artwork
- 16 See also
- 17 References
- Elder dragons
- Farmhands and NPC assistance
- Mercenary NPCs
- NPC guards
- Quest givers
- Siege NPCs
- Tavern NPCs
- War Beast
NPC racial interaction
- These benefits apply to citizens of the dominant culture but they also apply to mechanics of the node and can also be of benefit to members of other races.
- There is an attrition mechanic that affects experience and influence to curb a single race from dominating the entire world.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
NPCs will add a player to their hate list if that player heals, buffs or otherwise assists any player on their hate list.
The best was Final Fantasy 11 back in the day where you had scent, you had sight, you had magic. Like there's all sorts of different things that you had to like protect yourself against so that certain mobs couldn't see you; and you could maintain that ability to like kind of sneak past easily... It made those monsters unique and gave them character outside of just how much damage they did to me. – Jeffrey Bard
- Narrated quest lines are not currently planned.
- Adding voice acting into the game at a later point is a fairly cosmetic change.
- Language-specific lexicons in the game from a lore and immersion standpoint. These do not have real player-to-player implications.
- Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.
|Divine nodes||Faith and skill/equipment augment focuses||Priests|
|Economic nodes||Trade and merchant focuses||Merchants|
|Military nodes||Combat and class training focuses||Guards|
|Scientific nodes||Artisan and construction focuses||Scholars|
Ashes of Creation allows you, the player, to decide the fate of the world around you. With each Node Type, you can change the flow of resources and goods in the world. Will you grow the largest Economic Metropolis and help guide the riches of Verra, or will you choose another path unlocking new stories filled with allies and enemies?
For example, if a level 4 Scientific Node is destroyed, it will become a Level 0 Scientific Node. It will never be any other Node Type other than a Scientific Node. The location of these Types relates to the influences of the area around the Node. – Margaret Krohn
Player stalls (also called Kiosks and rental stalls) are rentable locations near the unique building in an Economic node or in Marketplaces (the constructible building available for placement by mayors of any Town (stage 4) node or higher).
All nodes do have the ability to spawn player stalls. If you're not an economic node and you don't have a market- that's essentially your unique building- then you can construct essentially what is I guess would be called a... marketplace; and that marketplace will then come with certain services and it will come with a certain number of stalls. The economic node as I recall has the ability to construct an auction house and the auction house serves through the economic means the ability to list and sell items and that comes with additional stalls as well for the players. – Steven Sharif
- Player stalls are rentable by node citizens.
- Player stalls may be utilized for a period of time based on the price paid to rent the stall.
- Player stalls are linked to a player's warehouse.
- Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.
- Player stalls do not require the attendance of the character or for that character to be online.
- Bulletin boards that list the items available in player stalls can be accessed from anywhere in the region.
- These give the location of the stall so players can travel there and purchase the items.
- Stall sales are also listed in auction houses.
- This may no longer be accurate.
- Players are able to input required items for repair and also purchase required materials for that repair.
- Player stalls may still operate during node siege declaration. This is subject to testing.
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
Day and night cycle
- Different monsters will spawn at different times.
- NPCs and mobs may be awake at different times of the day.
- Different emissive effects may be more prevalent on night creatures.
Fifteen minutes may be one hour in game time.
Transportation of goods
Personal inventory limits are tied to a backpack. Material and gatherable items are subject to quantity rather than weight limits. Caravans and Mules are intended to be the primary mode of transportation of goods beyond these limits.
- Mules can carry roughly 10 times more than backpacks. Caravans can carry roughly 10 times more than mules.
- Caravans will have carrying capacity limits and customizable stats, such as defensive points, speed and number of hired NPC guards.
- Inventory expansion and weight management training certificates are available in the Galleria at City stage economic nodes.
- A player's inventory has sections for different types of items. Quest items for example will not fill a player's regular inventory capacity.
- The stacking limit of potions might be one hundred. The stacking limit of food items might be 999 or 1000.
- Utilizing new AI technology that hasn't been seen in other MMORPG projects.
- Bosses are scripted and make decisions dynamically during boss fights.
- NPCs performing "idle actions" to make the world seem more alive has been discussed by the developers but is not confirmed.
There are some additional AI parameters that are set that don't relate necessarily to controlling NPCs. There are AIs with regards to the development of the borders for nodes in the direction and also the decisions that are made of which lower nodes to enslave as vassal states. There's AI that relates to a little bit of the stock market that's going to be present in the economy. There's some AI systems that are going to be announced also that are pretty innovative I think with regards to the MMORPG genre and that's going to make the triggered event system very interesting I think; and that's you know with regards to how nodes kind of develop and the environment reacts to that development by you know spawning these triggered events of you know a horde of zombies attacking a city or a legendary raid boss coming out of the mountain. I think there's a lot of opportunity for some of the innovations that's been in the AI sector of game development too to come out in Ashes. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse horde mode
- Each wave is more difficult than the last.
- Between waves, players collect experience, money and weapons to take back to their hold to defend against the next wave.
- Monster coins enable players to join the game as part of the horde.
Horde mode will absolutely include boss mechanics, so some of the ideas behind that is going to have a wave mode of a variety of NPCs will likely include some achievable cosmetics as well in that mode depending on how far you can get and those cosmetics will include pets of the NPCs that you face, so like a little miniature version of the NPC's and we'll update those as well, that you'll have in the MMO. – Steven Sharif
- Testing the blackboard for the AI.
- NPCs with different adaptive AI focuses:
It's a way that we thought it would be kind of fun to implement AI mechanics that we're looking to implement. Testing the you know the blackboard for the AI. Being able to have variable types of NPCs that have roles whether it be like a sniper, ranged, melee, boss, heroic you know kind of different AI focuses for those monsters during interesting situations. – Steven Sharif
Population based scaling
Things that NPCs buy and sell kind of scale based on the economic activity that exists on that server... As inflation rises, prices rise and everything kind of ends up being equal, even though there might be a couple of extra zeros. So that can go up and it can also go down so as a population leaves, things become less expensive and players don't have to do as much to earn that. On the other side of things we look at the node system and the node system is set up in this really flexible way that allows us to scale the experience needed to level a node and the attrition that delevels a node to scale based on activity too. So you know it's just a matter of adjusting a couple of constants and that goes up and down and the server can watch it and change those on the fly as it needs to. – Jeffrey Bard
2020-11-09 2020-07-31 2020-07-31 2018-04-28
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:54:45).
- Livestream, 28 February 2020 (47:45).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (31:37).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:45:40).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:14:42).
- A world with consequences.
- Video, 31 May 2020 (8:38).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (15:56).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (24:33).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (29:56).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (45:32).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (39:17).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (13:14).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (1:00:19).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (29:45).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (29:28).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:22:09).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (25:12).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (24:14).
- What languages will Ashes of Creation be in?
- Livestream, 4 May 2017 (15:15).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Ashes of Creation Instagram, 19 August 2020.
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:00:57).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (1:26:16).
- Interview, 8 July 2020 (55:05).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (16:36).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:04:59).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (59:39).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (35:16).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:34:06).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:06:09).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:23:31).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (23:18).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (41:49).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (24:51).
- Ashes of Creation - Screenshots.
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (57:41).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:17:45).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (45:19).
- Livestream, 27 April 2017 (6:11).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:27:18).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (44:57).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (40:41).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:14:13).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (11:55).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (43:57).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (3:56).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (24:23).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (13:17).
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (54:06).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (30:29).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (4:00).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (39:15).