- 1 Node buildings
- 2 Freehold buildings
- 3 Artwork
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Node layout and style
- Environment (biome) and location of the node.
- The way that the node system is built is that they can exist across a spread of 18 biomes, but at the same time have to represent the cultural influence of these cultures that are intrinsically a part of a specific biome. – Steven Sharif
- Nodes will adjust the local topography to fit the aesthetic and mechanical requirements of the node.
Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings, NPCs, and props.
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
- It should be possible for a node to complete several building projects within a mayor's one month term in office.
- Q: How long would you say it will take players on average to fill slash build up a node completely from wilderness to metropolis?
- A: It's one thing to get a node to a certain level: it's another thing to develop the node; and I can't really give you an on-average expectation, because there's a lot of variables at play. There's how many citizens does the node have attracted to it; what's the type of traffic that the node is attracting to it based on things like its tax rates, or the specialization that it chose to spec into, based on the building types it's chosen to build. All of those things are variables that can affect the quote-unquote "average build-out time" of a particular node. So it's kind of difficult to give you an average when there's so many variables along those lines. But the idea is that if there is a particular project that players are interested in in developing based on the node stage, that they would have the ability to complete several of those projects as within a single term of a mayor; and a term of a mayor is one month. – Steven Sharif
- Gear appearance of certain armor sets is influenced by the player's race.
- Node layout and style is influenced by the race that contributes the most to that node.
- NPCs will react differently to different character races.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
Constructible node buildings
These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in. – Steven Sharif
- Node buildings live within a "tech tree" based on the stage of the node. Each stage offers stronger services to the node but must satisfy prerequisites for the building construction.
- Different governments may change the buildings within a node.
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
- Materials contributed toward building a node building are lost if the mayor decides to scrap the project.
- Pre-defined parameters limit the number of buildings at in-node locations.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
We want the City Hall to be the place where big decisions are made for each Node. It should be where the “ruling class” comes together and decides what to do (these decisions can quickly make them the “old ruling class” too).
- Status of the node's economy.
- Status of upcoming elections.
- Status of trade agreements.
- Status of caravans.
- Clicking on a citizen will reveal information about their guild, society, religion, and property ownership.
Node building destruction
- NPC-driven events that are a response to story arcs or node atrophy.
- Node sieges and node wars.
- Hazardous events such as tornadoes or hurricanes.
- Players must repair damaged buildings (or rebuild destroyed ones) in order to reactivate the services from those particular buildings.
- Node governments must clear any rubble on plots before any buildings can be reconstructed. Any prerequisites for the building reconstruction must be satisfied beforehand.
- Buildings also live within a prerequisite system. So in order to build down the tech tree of what these buildings provide, as the node grows larger to access stronger building types, you may get a kink in that chain if it's destroyed and you'll have to stand that back up in order to support the service again. – Steven Sharif
- If the node is destroyed by a node siege, the debris field will contain spoils that are lootable to the victors of the siege.
- Freehold farms
- Guild halls
- Lumber yards
- Basements in freehold buildings are to be decided.
- Certain buildings will have multiple tiers, with different footprint sizes. For example: Small, medium, large, to mansion-sized homes.
- A mansion sized home may occupy up to 50% of a freehold plot.
- Cosmetics can also be applied to a blueprint based on the type of building.
- Players are not locked into any particular race for freehold blueprints.
Freehold building placement
- Players will need to manage how these are arranged to maximize adjacency bonuses.
Depending on where your place you're freehold, you're gonna have different environmental tiles available to you and those will kind of enable or buff existing structures that you place in your Freehold... I don't know that we would put like fish farming just for a freehold that's on a river. What we would probably do is give you a buff to fishing in that area. That kind of a thing. So there'll be more buffs for existing things rather than necessarily a special buildings just for that area. But again we're not fully baked in on that system yet, so it's very possible though we end up going down that direction. – Jeffrey Bard
Freehold building skins
- Building, ship, caravan and mount cosmetics require an in-game item to be obtained first to apply the cosmetic.
I had a meeting with the Design Team the other day (as they are working on further details for the Freehold System) to help clarify some of the answers to the questions y'all have been asking, and they will be sending me information. Once I receive this, I will be working on a content update to reflect that information, and going forward, we will provide those details on each individual cosmetic item. Updating all the past items to provide more clarity on what in-game item types you can place the cosmetics on will take time once this process begins, so please bare with us as we start from present to past items, updating their information. – Margaret Krohn
2022-09-05 2020-02-28 2020-01-31 2018-04-01
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:01:59).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (39:17).
- Livestream, September 27, 2018 (53:06).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (41:00).
- Livestream, February 26, 2021 (1:12:18).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (4:57).
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (29:47).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (54:34).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (21:23).
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (23:36).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (47:27).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:13:09).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (45:32).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (33:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (1:00:19).
- Podcast, April 23, 2018 (29:56).
- Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:16:03).
- Video, March 23, 2020 (0:24).
- Livestream, May 19, 2017 (33:57).
- Livestream, January 20, 2018 (38:17).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (51:49).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (55:05).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:13:00).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:10:09).
- Livestream, September 1, 2018 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter
- City hall.
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (9:49).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:01:00).
- Livestream, October 31, 2019 (36:20).
- Livestream, November 22, 2019 (16:56).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (57:46).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Livestream, November 22, 2019 (17:59).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (59:38).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (14:21).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:14:44).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:02:12).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (40:14).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (47:10).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Velkor's Eye.
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (9:58).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:09:22).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (45:23).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (2:14:06).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (41:27).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (56:42).
- Livestream, December 6, 2018 (44:14).
- Livestream, October 31, 2018 (46:18).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).