Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
List of processed goods (materials)
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Blueprints are required for the construction of the feehold buildings that are used to process resources.
That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.
- Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.
- Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from. – Steven Sharif
- Resources won't be locked to the node system.
- Some unique resources may be monsters in disguise or have monsters defending them.
We want our players to have a reason to explore the wilderness, to travel with purpose, and much of that will be driven by our resource system. Transporting these goods might just be more difficult than gathering them. Our regional market system allows players to participate in creating pocket economies that will reinforce the stability of goods in particular regions.
We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (34:15).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (1:16:05).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (17:31).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 5 May 2017 (43:05).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (27:11).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (20:01).
- Interview, 20 July 2020 (20:17).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (24:18).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (40:20).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (9:00).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (10:48).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (54:26).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:05:58).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:04:50).
- Livestream, 17 December 2019 (1:14:42).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (53:28).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (53:11).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:13).