The Verdant Keeper... are a sect of people that keep track of all the things that are necessary to have successful crops and to grow things and to make sure that the cultivation of these things allows a society or civilization to keep growing. So in the transition from Verra to Sanctus these people had to kind of relearn how to grow things without magic. There were druid like people before and now we kind of have to go to this place where there's no magic to support those things. So they spend their time learning about the world and learning about it in sort of a scientific way and keeping track of all of these seasons of the different years, of the decades, of the centuries that go by to sort of create a map for themselves and for the civilizations that they support: Kind of a means to be successful in growing crops and keeping people healthy and happy. – Jeffrey Bard
As the months come and go, and the hand of winter looms over the land, various farmers of Verra take time to celebrate the fortune granted to them by the Verdant Keeper. Hearths are stoked, candles are lit, and fragrant delicacies are prepared. A massive celebration of food and drink takes place, marking the culmination of their hard work and preparation for the harsh, cold months to come. Should the celebrations go well, they say the Keeper will bless the next spring with a brand new harvest, ready to be plucked.
- This will affect Farming and Animal husbandry professions.
- Since players may only have one Freehold, they must choose their Artisan specializations accordingly if they wish to place it in the Underrealm.
Farmhands and NPC assistance
Based on node type and progression, players will be able to hire NPCs to work as farmhands on their freehold farms. Players will be able to command these farmhands online in-game as well as offline via an application (mobile app) or web interface.
- The developers have discussed potentially adding mechanics to potted plants that yield unique items if the plant is properly maintained.
One of the big directives for the environment team- and I know Mia has been amazing in this regard- is each of the biomes really need to have a a fairly eclectic selection of plant life, of vegetation, of foliage. These help to create the atmosphere that you are really immersed in this different climate zone and that that's obviously something that we as players enjoy when we get to see a significant diversity of plant life, because it does lend itself to the immersive nature of the world. – Steven Sharif
- Video, 25 May 2017 (4:37).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (44:22).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (32:11).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (44:17).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Shadeless Tree Tavern.
- Livestream, 31 October 2019 (14:13).
- Blog: Bounties of the Verdant Keeper.
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (24:30).
- Livestream, 9 May 2017 (28:57).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (11:00).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:39:00).
- Livestream, 29 January 2021 (56:58).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (43:01).