The character creator (or character customization system) allows players to define the look of their in-game characters, hired NPCs; and potentially creatures raised by the animal husbandry profession.
- Character appearance can be adjusted through a wide range of presets and sliders.
- Character blending provides easy to use customization by morphing together two or more character presets.
- Character sculpting allows detailed customization of every aspect of the body.
Additional character creator features include.
- There will be unlockable features for character customization.
- You have that scar because you participated in this siege, or these many sieges; or you have this tattoo because of your of a cultural background, or because of a quest that was accomplished where you're able to get that. – Steven Sharif
- The beauty of it is that you can save your character- and we already have some of those features available- and load them; and in the future we want people to be able to share those characters amongst each other. – Margaret Krohn
- The ability to undo changes (Ctrl + Z) will be supported, including undoing changes that were made several edits earlier.
- Choosing base idle animations of characters will be possible in future.
- Certain animations, such as blinking, will be present when they don't interfere with the customization process.
- Adjusting the background scene and lighting is a planned feature.
- There's going to be a lot of environmental controls that are offered to the character creator so that people can set it up their scene the way they want to grab screenshots or to grab recordings or whatever they want to do. – Steven Sharif
- Asymmetry in terms of manipulating different components of the body or different body features such as hair, beard, and eyes.
- Asymmetry is going to be functionality that's possible in manipulating either different components of the body or different features like hair. The beard we saw a little bit of that blending with highlights that you can do. Margaret talked a little bit about the eye asymmetry that you can include. Obviously those are going to exist within certain parameters that we want to define on a per-race basis, but it is something that we think is cool. – Steven Sharif
- Body adornments, such as piercings will be possible within cultural limits.
- The developers are considering whether to allow custom tattoos to be uploaded by users.
- We want there to be a lot of room for people to manifest their own identity, to role play how they want to from an appearance standpoint. There's going to be parameters within which you will be able to customize a character. We want the culture and the identity of the races to exist in a range that makes them easily identifiable from other players and other cultures. So, because of that, we have to have a spectrum you can exist on. There will be a lot of hair variants you can do, body art tattoos that you can apply. You'll be able to play with the scales of the facial structure, the bones, the height, width, the body fat percentage. You'll be able to add body hair on different parts of the body. If you want to have hair on your feet, you can dial that up. – Steven Sharif
- Character models are focused on realism.
- A player will see a generic character before customization.
- Character designs will have influences from a wide range of cultures, such as European, African and Asian.
- Lolis will not be in the game.
- Sliders and other controls, such as color palettes, will offer flexibility in customization but there will be limits based on race, gender, and the artistic style guidelines that the developers are adhering to.
- There's going to be constraints to the sliders, so that was one of those big questions as work began on the character creator: How much agency do you want to allow pulling like the lower lip all the way down in this weird deformed look, or having like [an] offset cheek that's just asymmetrical to the side of the face. There's not going to be the ability or agency to create those types of weird character things. However you will have the ability to move, slide, change, grow, decrease all those components, but they'll be kept in a more reasonable and presented way in the same sense you won't be able to change the appearance of the dwarven, nor the Dünir or the Niküan races to, in my opinion, create what would be traditionally considered a Loli character. – Steven Sharif
- Body presets.
- Body type.
- Full face presets.
- Facial features.
- Tattoos, scars, and body art.
Character blending allows the combination of two or more presets from the character creator. It allows users to click and drag to morph between the different presets to create customized characters without spending time adjusting each angle of every body part.
- Plates are used for moving features around.
- Dots are use to change the shape of the character's features altogether.
- Adjusting the length and proportions of limbs.
- Sizes of calves and thighs.
- Adjustments will allow a character to appear more feminine or masculine.
The Tulnar race does not have sub-types. Instead, players will be able to significantly customize the appearance of Tulnar characters based on three base influences; or blend between these different influences.
- Simian (or mammalian).
- There are feline and bestial components that can be scaled up when creating a Tulnar character but Tulnar do not equal furries.
- Catgirl and Loli Tulnar are not able to be created.
- Tulnar do not equal furries, but there are definitely some bestial components that you can scale up when you're creating your Tulnar character, so you could max that setting I guess. Whether or not that would give you what you would think of as a furry, I guess it's going to be up to your interpretation of what a Furry is. – Steven Sharif
- The Tulnar do not have avian characteristics. The sentient avian races (such as the Sladeborne) did not take refuge in the Underrealm.
- Q: Will character creator allow us to make Tulnar that might look somewhat like Kobolds from Pathfinder or DnD?
- A: I wouldn't say exactly, but there's definitely elements of Kobolds that you could incorporate in a character creator with the Tulnar, yes. – Steven Sharif
- Mammalian Tulnar may have snout features, fur and inverted knees.
- Reptilian Tulnar may have more circular eyes and head shape, and scaly skin.
- Eye color.
- Skin color.
- Hair color.
Cosmetic items that produce in-game cosmetic effects will also be available.
- Racial skins transform the race of the character to that skin. The original racial appearance of the character is entirely replaced.
- Racial skins can be toggled on and off.
There are plans to create other racial skins.
- Some potential future ideas include undead and werewolf (lycan) skins.
- They do not include any weapons pictured.
- Costumes are one piece outfits that cover all gear slots regardless of armor type.
- Costumes don't have a level restriction or require an in-game item to be obtained first.
- Costumes are not gender or race locked, but can adapt based on a character's gender and race.
- All hoods and head slot items, whether part of a complete costume or individual gear, will have the option to be shown or hidden on the character by the player.
- There will not be "oversized" weapons.
- Armor will not be overly sexual in appearance.
- I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Some armor and costumes will be more revealing than others, but there will not be nudity in the game.
Each race is getting its custom geo pieces, which then will share thematic components such as color palette, attachments, design filigree. Those types of things will get shared across the geo but generally you're going to see unique races with unique geo. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off on their character by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- Cosmetics, whether purchased from the shop or earned in game, are an important component of MMORPGS I personally enjoy; and there's a lot of collectors out there who spend a great deal of time either in-game achieving these things or spend money purchasing them from the cosmetic only marketplace; and we don't want to demean or reduce that achievement or that expenditure. So it's going to be situational where the default appearance will be applied and can be activated. – Steven Sharif
- There will be hundreds of attachments available ranging from a small clasp to the front plate of a breast plate.
- Character creator is scheduled before the start of Alpha-2, so players will have an opportunity to see the character creator in the start of Alpha-2's client that they'll have access to. It's something that I believe last milestone, or maybe it's this milestone was getting re revamped or retouched up. – Steven Sharif
- The character creator is in a usable, functional, and testable playable format for Alpha-2. It may not have all the bells and whistles of course that we want to launch with, but it is going to be a part of the Alpha-2 client that players will get to interface with. – Steven Sharif
- It was stated previously that the character creator would be provided to players before the release of Alpha-2.
- We aim to have the character creator in the hands of players before the release of Alpha Two.
- It was stated earlier that Ashes of Creation Apocalypse would have an early access character creator that could also be used in the MMORPG.
2022-08-15 2022-04-27 2022-04-01 2022-04-01 2022-04-01 2022-04-01 2022-03-31 2022-03-31 2021-01-30 2017-10-22
- Video, March 31, 2022 (34:16).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (18:47).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (19:14).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (0:00).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (09:43).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:49).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (29:14).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (16:23).
- Livestream, April 29, 2022 (5:05).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (28:22).
- Ashes of Creation Reddit - Ctrl + Z in the Character Creator (1).
- Ashes of Creation Reddit - Ctrl + Z in the Character Creator (2).
- Livestream, January 28, 2022 (39:30).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (56:40).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (4:57).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (58:47).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (59:36).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:01:08).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:11:52).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (13:47).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (46:51).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:01:00).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (47:35).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (51:19).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (13:39).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (11:21).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (10:04).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (12:39).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (18:19).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:00:14).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (9:23).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:10:46).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (13:13).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (46:22).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (7:05).
- Livestream, January 28, 2022 (59:48).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (10:27).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (7:50).
- Livestream, May 22, 2017 (54:32).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (8:54).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (7:49).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (48:45).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (10:00).
- Twitter - A little salt and pepper never hurt anyone!
- Twitter - We took our Vek to the barbershop for some fresh new cuts!
- Video, March 31, 2022 (11:02).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (11:04).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (11:52).
- Ashes of Creation Twitter.
- Video, March 31, 2022 (39:29).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (13:31).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (13:56).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (13:59).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (19:49).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (21:03).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (54:10).
- Livestream, November 22, 2019 (1:08:05).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (1:07:51).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (15:21).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (15:40).
- Twitter - The Tulnar are a proud, noble, Underrealm-dwelling race.
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (56:00).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (16:51).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (3:12).
- Livestream, August 23, 2017 (31:29).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (20:17).
- Livestream, June 30, 2017 (15:10).
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (33:21).
- Podcast, November 15, 2020 (1:03:17).
- Interview, April 22, 2019 (58:20).
- Interview, April 15, 2019 (20:15).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (32:14).
- Livestream, May 12, 2017 (1:04:04).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:42:43).
- Kickstarter 12k+ backers.
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (4:47).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Vestments of the Runecarvers.
- What is included with my Pre-Order package?
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:42:55).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (50:20).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 2019-01-8.
- Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:34:07).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (53:43).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:41:06).
- Livestream, September 24, 2021 (1:25:27).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:13:22).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (1:05:22).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (24:19).
- Livestream, September 3, 2017 (48:56).
- Livestream, May 31, 2023 (58:37).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (22:33).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (50:29).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (3:34:46).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:49:39).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (54:02).
- Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:10:44).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (30:51).
- Livestream, September 1, 2018 (1:05:10).
- Livestream, October 31, 2018 (40:31).