Personal inventory limits are tied to a backpack. Material and gatherable items are subject to quantity rather than weight limits. Caravans and Mules are intended to be the primary mode of transportation of goods beyond these limits.
- Mules can carry roughly 10 times more than backpacks. Caravans can carry roughly 10 times more than mules.
- Caravans will have carrying capacity limits and customizable stats, such as defensive points, speed and number of hired NPC guards.
- In my opinion, and this is of course subjective, but weight management is not a compelling mechanic for players to have to deal with in an MMO setting. – Steven Sharif
Inventory capacity has quantity (stacking) limits based on the type of item. For example: The stacking limit of potions might be one hundred. The stacking limit of food items might be 999 or 1000.
- A player's inventory has sections for different types of items. Quest items for example will not fill a player's regular inventory capacity.
- There will be a healthy number of slots for gear in a player's inventory.
- Inventory is split into two separate management systems. The first is your non-material, non-gatherable slots. Those are your standard single slot, not-space-constrained system that's a standard inventory: you just have a single slot, and you can pull completed items and/or consumables and quest items or whatever into that slot. And then, when you're talking about materials, specifically processed goods and gatherables: those exist within the Tetris type uh inventory system. – Steven Sharif
- Inventory capacity will be relatively limited for new characters.
- We want to have very unique progression when it comes to the construction of resource bags; and those resource bags will have certain benefits, like increasing stack size count of particular types of resources; or of having a additional delay time necessary to interface with with your corpse, should a player try to take the resources you might have dropped in PvP; or having passive benefits and unique structures of spacing that makes it more a better bag for wood gathering because woods are three-by-one; or a better bag for mining because mining is always two-by-two. The idea is to make your intent as a gatherer when you go out into the wild specific right not just that you're going out into the wild and gathering everything you can because it's there; and that's what we don't have like a labor system that limits it. We have a space constraint system so when you leave your node and you go out into the wild you need to be conscientious of what you're choosing to interact with and take resources for, because you have a limited space constraint to that degree. – Steven Sharif
- Players will have the ability to search for items they have stored in various locations (such as personal storage and node warehouses).
- We want you to know where the things are; and then the meaningful aspect of that thing is traveling to those locations to access some of those things, particularly as it relates to materials and raw gatherables. – Steven Sharif
- Inventories will be able to be sorted.
- Inventory expansion and weight management training certificates are available in the Galleria at City stage economic nodes.
- Backpacks are equippable in a character's back slot.
- The higher level the backpack, the greater the inventory space.
- There's item progression as it relates to quality of bags, types of bags, and the materials they're most used for. Some of them are more PvP oriented that can reduce significantly drop rates for PvP as a result of that progression. – Steven Sharif
- Different backpack types cater to different activities.
- Some of those bags might have increased times to interact with a player corpse and you can choose to perhaps have less capacity, less stack size, less slot availability for the certain types of gatherables you may want to acquire in exchange for an increased interaction time for other players that might try to loot that bag, giving you time to reach it and take back your belongings. Or, if in the middle of a fight they see a corpse on the ground and they're like wait a minute, I want to grab that. Well, if I got to spend 10 seconds to interact with that corpse and there's combat going on, this is an opportunity strategically for you to recapture the grounds- for you to recapture the battlefield. You want to think about those types of interactions. How do you add layers of strategy to engagements and and there's ways to do that through inventory management as well. – Steven Sharif
Mules are mounts that assist in the transport of goods, resources, and gatherables to increase a player's carrying capacity. Mules transport goods on a much smaller scale than the caravan system.
- Mayoral caravans are used by Mayors to transfer resources between nodes that have established trade agreements or alliances.
- Caravans are initiated from and arrive at caravanserai node buildings within Village (stage 3) nodes and above.
- There will be small, medium, and large crates. The higher quality the crate, the greater its capacity.
- Commodities are provided in sealed crates, which can become unsealed if the caravan or merchant ship transporting them is destroyed, or if the crate is dropped on the ground and broken into.
- Crates will be required to transfer supplies between caravans and storage points.
- Crates will undergo testing and iteration during Alpha-2.
- Transported goods by caravan require crate capacity first and then can translate into storage capacity within a warehouse inventory management system or a personal inventory bag management system. – Steven Sharif
- Sheds are present on empty freehold plots to provide basic storage for materials needed to construct freehold buildings.
Player housing storage
- Players must obtain and place storage containers in their player-owned housing.
- Different grades of storage containers have different inventory capacities.
- There are restrictions on the grades of storage containers available in different types of houses.
- Access permissions can be set to allow others to access a player's personal storage devices.
- Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within a node following a siege declaration against that node.
- Corrupt players are not able to utilize storage systems.
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
- Raw gatherables and materials are not able to be mailed by players.
- Social messages sent via mail will be received instantly.
- It hasn't been decided whether crafted items such as gear will be able to be sent via mail.
- From an item standpoint obviously we can't allow mailing to include any type of resource material or raw gatherable because those are central to the gameplay and transiting through the caravan system and economic regions. But it may be possible to send completed crafted items like gear, equipment, stuff like that. But it's something we're still discussing. – Steven Sharif
- Video, January 27, 2023 (9:43).
- Twitter - Steven Sharif - Spatial inventory slots.
- Video, June 30, 2023 (8:54).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (45:19).
- Livestream, April 27, 2017 (6:11).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (54:55).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:27:18).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (44:57).
- Livestream, May 22, 2017 (40:41).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:14:13).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (1:10:00).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (22:57).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:24:42).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (46:17).
- Podcast, July 15, 2023 (22:57).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (47:13).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (46:15).
- Livestream, November 19, 2021 (40:53).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:17:33).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:08:55).
- Livestream, May 30, 2019 (1:09:17).
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:18:48).
- Podcast, July 15, 2023 (26:31).
- Blog: The Hungry Quadruped.
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter - Mounts, Tigers and Bears!
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:03:35).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Video, July 16, 2019 (0:00).
- Livestream, August 31, 2023 (2:10:23).
- Video, July 15, 2019 (2:12).
- Livestream, August 26, 2022 (1:20:17).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (3:21).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (28:21).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (45:20).
- Interview, January 20, 2017 (4:19).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:36:10).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (53:47).
- Video, June 30, 2023 (19:20).
- Interview, December 6, 2018 (20:30).
- Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (18:45).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (22:34).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (10:54).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:12:33).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (51:58).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:23:31).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:14:44).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (57:46).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:12:24).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (24:28).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:49).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (23:18).
- Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:14:53).
- Video, September 6, 2018 (3:53).
- Livestream, July 9, 2018 (50:16).