- Water area is considered playable area, but the exact area of land versus water is not known at this time.
480 square kilometers; which is pretty large comparatively to other MMORPGs out there. Now that does not include the lapped spaces: So that is the Underrealm and the portion of the world that it encompasses, which could probably easily take up an additional hundredish square kilometers I would imagine. – Steven Sharif
- The Alpha-0 map was a 4km x 4km area (16 km2).
- The Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale map was 2.5km x 2.5km (6.25 km2).
- The Alpha-1 zone is almost 100 km2 in size. This is approximately 20-25% of the total world size.
Number of nodes
- There will be 9 node locations in Alpha-1.
The world of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war. Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.
For example, you may hear a rumor in a tavern that tells you the location of a cave full of weak Kobolds, but this was not accurate as the rumor was started by well-equipped bandits in order to waylay overconfident adventurers.
- These points of interest are determined by Node progression; and not every server will share the same map, as player decisions will vary server to server.
The map will have geographical choke points (such as Mountains) that are not traversable by players.
Even though we're an open-world that doesn't mean that from a design perspective, especially with the way our economic systems work, that we will want to create Geographic choke points. – Steven Sharif
- The Verran planet is not flat. You may not see a curvature on the horizon in this, but from a lore perspective the universe in Verra does adhere to some basic physics and laws of physics that we experience in the real world, which means it is not flat. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be world wrapping in Ashes of Creation. – Steven Sharif
- Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected. This represents around 50,000 registered accounts per server.
- The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers. There may be queues to get into high population servers, but the aim is to avoid excessively long queues.
Part of the equation of essentially watching to make sure that we don't over populate the server selection, but at the same time making sure that there's not a queue system in place that's so long it's detrimental to the concurrency of the player's will to play so to speak. It's a tough balancing act. – Steven Sharif
We want to put things in the world that are dynamic; so there are reasons to keep going out and keep exploring.
Zones of influence
Each Node can form into towns, but are limited by their neighbors. The Nodes have different levels of advancement. There can only be so many of each level. Think of this as advanced settlements needing more elbow room. Nodes encompass more land as they grow and will require more effort to be sustained. This system is a main driver for change in the world because it creates scarcity. As Nodes advance in stages of growth they will lock out neighboring Nodes from progressing, and will absorb their zones of influence.
The main thing that differentiates us from other MMOs is that we have a living, breathing, reactive world... Our world is separated into zones, which are then separated into what we call nodes. Nodes are sort of invisible zones of influence that listen to everything that a player does; so as players gain experience from killing things, gain experience from doing quests, gain experience through crafting things, the node is also gaining that experience. Once a node gains enough experience it levels up and then starts to attract NPCs to it . – Jeffrey Bard
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:18:12).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (10:43).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 31 October 2017 (24:00).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (9:08).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (22:43).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (1:21:49).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (25:45).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (15:14).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (3:44).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (37:16).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter
- Interview, 22 May 2017 (22:54).
- The mighty beard!
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (30:53).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:25:11).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (44:51).
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (55:15).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (59:25).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (26:41).
- Video, 6 September 2018 (4:25).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (12:56).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (10:04).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (36:22).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (1:00:00).
- Node series part I
- Ashes of Creation FAQ.
- Interview, 20 April 2018 (7:22).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (55:16).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (39:32).