- The Alpha-1 starting area is set in the ruins of an Pyrian divine gateway.
- There are 12 different (sub)zones in the Alpha-1 testing location.
- The Alpha-1 map was approximately 70 km2 of playable area.
- Alpha island (also called Alpha-0 island) was the first open-world testing zone for Alpha-1 participants.
- There are approximately 4 biomes in Alpha-1: Flood plains, Desert (Desert), Snowy mountains, Forest.
- Temporary teleportation points will be present in early tests until ships are introduced later in the alpha testing.
Alpha-1 starting area
- Divine gateways are where players first arrive in Ashes of Creation.
- Players can choose their starting gateway. This choice is not restricted by their choice of race.
- The divine gateways were created by the Goddess of Creation in response to a warning from the Goddess of Fate that The Ancients and The Others would return from exile and seek retribution for their defeat at the hands of The Seven gods.
Where players start, they enter this portal from another world called Sanctus. Sanctus is a place of no magic, low technology; and players are the first expeditioners that are coming through this portal into the world of Verra. – Jeffrey Bard
Alpha-1 node locations
Castle sieges in Alpha-1
- Players will be able to join guilds. These guilds can register for the siege events.
- Castle siege events will be 100v100 battles that occur daily and will last for three hours.
- Attackers will start on the opposite end of the map (from the defenders).
- Attackers will be able to use trebuchets to drive to and assault the castle.
- When the attackers have breached the castle they will be able to channel a cast on the relic in the throne room to try to capture the castle from the defenders.
- The victors of castle sieges will receive benefits, such as cloaks, flying mounts for guild leaders and potentially also for guild officers.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges are in a separate zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Currently the siege zone is actually in the open world, but separated by mountains and off in the sea a bit. There is actually no instancing in A1, although the siege zone will only be accessible in A1 through a registration NPC teleporter. – Steven Sharif
- The opposing team is notified when these raid bosses are being attacked.
- Teams who get the last hit on these bosses will receive buffs that will help them in the siege battle.
Last year, I spoke of attempting to incorporate sieges into the Alpha One experience. This has obviously been a goal of mine because it provides considerable data and a consistent event within the world that players can participate in to help stress test the deployment. Well, I am happy to say that it is appearing more and more likely by the day! Initial implementation of the Apocalypse siege code has been migrated into the Alpha One client, and we should begin internal testing next month. I will caveat this expectation with the fact that we are cutting it a bit close from an internal QA standpoint, but I have some confidence that the system will be online and capable of inclusion for the Alpha One test in the month of June. The siege component will obviously not be representative of what the siege system will be at launch, or even in Alpha Two. – Steven Sharif
- Destructible structures (such as walls and gates) are present in Alpha-1 castle sieges.
- Progression to level 15.
- The composition of class skills or archetype skills has to tread a fine line between two roads: One we wanted to be representative of skills not just that would traditionally be found 1 through 15 but we're actually introducing some skills that might be found later, because we want to test those particular ideas and how the skill functions. – Steven Sharif
- Character creator (basic).
- Progression to level 15.
- 4 playable races Kaelar, Vaelune, Dünir, Empyrean.
- A lot of times people ask well why haven't we seen the other races and stuff? We want to establish the quality bar and process with these races first and then when we move into further content production for the other races we have have those pipelines in place and we have the processes in place and we know how to approach them.
- 4 playable races Kaelar, Vaelune, Dünir, Empyrean.
The weapon attack is an important component of the combat system, so we want to make sure that as we're doing this combat revamp that we are essentially taking into consideration player feedback and sentiment about how they want a reactive and more mobile weapon attack system. – Steven Sharif
- The economy present in Alpha-1 is not reflective of the final state of the game.
- Merchant systems and player to player trading.
- We have an economy but it's not really going to be reflective of the final how the economy is going to work. It'll work for alpha one and there'll be plenty of things to trade and buy and exchange, but it's not going to be really super representative what the final state is. So keep that in mind as well it's a stubbed-in system. It's not a complete or really finalized system at all. – Jeffrey Bard
- Approximately 10 percent of the artisan system.
- Gathering, Processing, Crafting is expected to come online in Alpha-2 and the Betas.
- Previously this was targeted for Alpha-1.
- Naval content
- Ships for "island hopping".
- UI and tutorial systems are placeholders until Alpha-2.
Pre-order pack upgrades are possible for current pack holders for the difference in price. Upgrades to Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding packs are also available in the store for the difference in package price.
- August 15, 2018 was the last day for purchases of Alpha-1 through Intrepid pre-order packs (History).
- August 13, 2021 was the last day for purchases of Alpha-1 through the Adventurer pre-order pack (History).
2021-05-29 2021-04-04 2021-02-11 2020-12-01
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Guide to Alpha One.
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (12:09).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (22:43).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (9:51).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (16:05).
- Interview, January 14, 2022 (3:50).
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (1:21:49).
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (53:01).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (25:45).
- Livestream, January 29, 2021 (26:38).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (12:08).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (24:51).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (17:23).
- Livestream, November 8, 2020 (0:00:00).
- Livestream, May 19, 2017 (29:25).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (53:58).
- Interview, July 20, 2020 (13:33).
- Interview, April 20, 2018 (5:46).
- Video, May 28, 2021 (24:44).
- Video, April 30, 2021 (19:25).
- Video, May 28, 2021 (19:04).
- Video, April 30, 2021 (13:02).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (49:40).
- Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:04:29).
- Video, July 14, 2021 (0:01).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (15:35).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (40:19).
- Livestream, March 28, 2020 (54:48).
- Video, April 5, 2018 (1:01:40).
- Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:13:05).
- Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:10:44).
- Livestream, September 1, 2018 (1:02:99).
- Interview, October 17, 2020 (53:50).
- Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:41:11).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (12:38).
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (31:24).
- Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:48:14).
- Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:14:50).
- Video, February 26, 2021 (6:17).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (44:30).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (37:16).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (43:55).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (19:02).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (42:28).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (35:30).
- Podcast, May 11, 2018 (59:25).
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (35:12).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (39:08).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (20:40).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:29:17).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (29:09).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (18:55).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (4:02).
- Ashes of Creation Store: May cosmetics.