- Cosmetics can be reassigned to other characters (alts), but can only be active on one character at a time.
- There will likely be a cooldown for reassigning cosmetics between characters.
- Allow testing of different builds as needed.
- Provide equipment needed to test various scenarios.
There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots on launch.
- Cosmetics are not tradeable with other players but can be reassigned to other characters (alts) within the same account.
- Skins are only be able to be applied to things that have already been earned, crafted or found within Ashes of Creation.
- Owning cosmetics does not guarantee the acquisition of the item the cosmetic can be used on. Players must still achieve the corresponding item/building. – Steven Sharif
- Caravan skins change the appearance of an in-game mount and in-game caravan that are hooked up to each other.
- The best skins will be in-game achievable.
- The best skins will be in-game achievable (obviously “best” is subjective, so I’d say the most ornate and detailed/unique). – Steven Sharif
- Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected.
- Initially there will be a limited number of registered accounts (approximately 15,000) per server to help mitigate login queues.
- There may be queues to get into high population servers, but the aim is to avoid excessively long queues.
- The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers.
- The developers may occasionally release stats relating to server populations and archetype/class makeup, but there isn't going to be an official page that surfaces this information.
This would likely be utilized more so by guilds than that would be solo or unaffiliated players; and I believe that the solo player they may have friends that they want to play with. That's fine, they can also still with those friends do the reservation system, but the player who is just joining the game fresh and doesn't have a community that they're part of, I don't think they really mind in that regard and will not utilize that system. – Steven Sharif
- Accounts will have name reservation tokens, that entitle its holder to reserve a name on a specific server when the reservation time comes.
Name reservation priority
- Kickstarter backer tiers, highest to lowest.
- Summer crowdfunding backer tiers, highest to lowest.
- Pre-order packs purchased from the web store.
Within each tier, the name reservations are on a first-come-first-served basis.
Name reservation availability
The current policy on multi-boxing (multi client) is that players are allowed to own multiple accounts, but may not launch multiple game clients from the same computer. Players may not use any software to automate character actions or mimic keystrokes.
- This was previously stated to be: If a user has a legitimate account and is not botting or using complex scripting then multi-boxing will be permitted.
Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that's a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who's playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don't consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I'm going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that restrict the ability for abuses that we've seen in other games. – Steven Sharif
- Very little gear will be account bound or soulbound in Ashes of Creation.
- Gear is obtained via crafting, gathering and processing along with raid and dungeon bosses.
A lot of what we experienced in games that usually come before us is that many things are account bound and they're soulbound to your character... Instead very little here is character bound. Very very little. The vast majority of gear- yes you will get quest related gear as rewards- but it won't be let's say one set in one dungeon and you must run the dungeon over and over. Instead we want to really emphasize the reliance on the economy and crafters and gatherers and processors to support a majority of the gear structure in-game, combined with that of world raid bosses and dungeon bosses; not a repetitive quest line through a single dungeon. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, January 29, 2021 (46:48).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (18:10).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - Poll + Bonus Dev Discussion - Multiboxing.
- Blog: New Adventure Awaits.
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (57:00).
- Podcast, May 4, 2017 (51:52).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:20:03).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Account management.
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (56:02).
- Rime and Regal.
- Livestream, December 6, 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:15:34).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (2:14:06).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (59:25).
- Livestream, October 29, 2021 (1:14:00).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (26:41).
- Video, September 6, 2018 (4:25).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (12:56).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (10:04).
- Livestream, November 19, 2021 (52:35).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:06:43).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (2:53).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Voyager plus pre-order pack
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (52:45).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (26:18).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (48:28).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (22:39).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (13:06).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (52:57).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (4:15).