The current policy on multi-boxing (multi client) is that players are allowed to own multiple accounts, but may not launch multiple game clients from the same computer. Players may not use any software to automate character actions or mimic keystrokes.
- This was previously stated to be: If a user has a legitimate account and is not botting or using complex scripting then multi-boxing will be permitted.
Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that's a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who's playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don't consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I'm going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that kind of restrict the ability for abuses that we've seen in other games. – Steven Sharif
The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters. – Steven Sharif
- These systems collect user data and flag abnormal activities for inspection. This combined with player reporting functions generates a live "heat map" that draws attention to unusual behavior.
- Players caught cheating will be banned.
We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
My decision is not to allow DPS meters nor add-ons. I feel we have adequate measures in place to prevent a majority of potential third party trackers. I know this subject has passionate voices on both sides and I respect the various opinions and positions many of you have expressed. – Steven Sharif
- The developers don't want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.
- The design of the game API is still under consideration.
- There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.
- The developers believe that parsers (DPS meters) can have negative effects.
- There will be a standard escalation system, where different actions are taken based on the seriousness of each infraction. Actions could range anywhere from being stripped (of the illegitimate items or currency) to being banned for a period of time, or being permanently banned.
The direction that I'm taking Intrepid as a company in is that a significant portion of the revenue created by the game goes into not only creating additional content and updates for the game but also goes into I think caretaking, as I like to call it; and that caretaking is multiple things: It's having active and present GM's on servers. It's having a an interacting community team that is always present and on-call for participating in forum discussions and streams and updates. – Steven Sharif
Following a standard approach to an escalation system where certain infractions are immediate and automatic bans and some infractions provide a path forward where action is taken that might ban the account or strip the account or provide some chat bans or the ability to play over a week or so... If you buy gold and depending on the the seriousness of the infraction you could go anywhere from being stripped and to being banned for a period of time to being permanently banned. – Steven Sharif
- Ashes of Creation Forums - Poll + Bonus Dev Discussion - Multiboxing.
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (48:28).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (22:39).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (27:53).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (38:35).
- Massively OP, 1 June 2017
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (20:40).
- Interview, 21 August 2018 (40:44).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (32:22).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - No Damage Meter?
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:02).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (6:29).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (21:41).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (49:03).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (1:28:19).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (43:27).
- Interview, 8 July 2020 (48:30).