It's the fourth anniversary of Ashes of Creation Wiki! Thanks for all of your wonderful support over the years.
- Combat pets will not increase a player's power and will require a sacrifice from the player.
- Power is delegated to the pet when it is summoned and returned to the player immediately when the pet despawns.
- Combat pets have a horizontal progression, not a vertical one.
- Combat pets are categorized by class and will adhere to a simple trinity structure (Tank/DPS/Support).
- Combat pets will also be categorized into different rarities.
- Combat pets may not be able to be summoned in certain dungeons, instances or other spaces.
- Gear is not available to Summons (Summoner pets).
- Combat pets will incorporate some of their owner's power in a way that keeps the power progression horizontal.
- Animals found through taming can be bred to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities.
- Mounts, such as horses are an early gateway into the Animal husbandry profession.
- Animal husbandry will be an exploritative profession.
Many animals that can be tamed and bred through the animal husbandry profession can be found in herds across the lands of Verra. These herds represent a gatherable resource, of sorts, that masters of the animal husbandry profession may then use to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities. Mounts play a large role in Ashes of Creation, and animals like the horse are an early gateway into the unlimited possibilities that await those skilled in the arts of husbandry.
- Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.
- Royal mounts (such as Dragons) are dropped as eggs that can be cultivated by Animal husbandry artisans with a high enough stable upgrade on their freehold.
- These mounts are not breedable.
- Mounts that are bred through animal husbandry may be sold at auction.
- Animals have a unique ID that is tied to the husbandry chart (compendium) that takes into account possible combinations between animals. There will be odd combinations, but there will be limits to what is possible.
- Discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- Players will be able to discover all possible combinations of genetic traits for breeding eventually, but there is an element of RNG associated with genetic parings.
Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world. – Steven Sharif
- The genetic system will involve trial and error to determine what yields or combinations are possible. This will incorporate an element of RNG.
- This may grant access to specific types of mounts.
- A dominant genetic trait might be discovered with a pairing or there may be a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species.
- These chances are improved based on the player's advancement within the Animal husbandry profession.
Each of these animals have a unique ID. There's going to be essentially this husbandry chart that takes into account potential combinations between animals that you have. So there's gonna be a little bit of obviously trial and error as players begin to explore this genetic system to determine what yields are possible; and those yields are obviously going to have an element of RNG to them as well. So you know you may pick up on a more dominant genetic trait within the pairing, or you may have a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species; and then those chances obviously get augmented by your advancement within the Animal Husbandry profession. So a person who's more experienced in pairing of certain animals, and even the specific types of pairings, will increase their likelihood- their RNG chances of essentially birthing a unique mount; and being able then to sell those on an open auction. They can also be applied as certificates toward the construction of particular caravans as well. – Steven Sharif
There are stages of development within breeding.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:09).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:24:27).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (1:15:29).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:21:14).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (1:10:04).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (1:26:00).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (56:43).
- Steven Sharif Twitter, April 17, 2021.
- Podcast, 15 November 2020 (35:42).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Blog: A noble steed
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (49:46).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (43:19).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (39:30).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (53:39).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).