- Pets, Mounts, Livestock, and Beasts of burden can be captured and tamed to breed the best version of that species.
- Geographical location may be relevant for the creation of certain types of breeds.
- Creatures will have a wide variety of traits and characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, within their species. The best version of a species will need to be blended from creatures from many places across Verra... For example, the best horse would need speed from desert horses, the coat and the health from tundra steeds, and the size and strength of ones that might be in the riverlands. – Steven Sharif
- Royal mounts (such as Dragons) are dropped as eggs that can be cultivated by Animal husbandry artisans with a high enough stable upgrade on their freehold.
- These mounts are not breedable.
- Mounts that are bred through animal husbandry may be sold at auction.
- There will be a cap on the number of times an animal can be bred. This is defined by the type, quality, and purpose of the animal.
Once an animal is born, there are stages of development to raise that animal from birth to adulthood. Animal husbandry practitioners will be able to specialise their focus into raising and training creatures to maximise the quality of the creature in adulthood.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
Once these creatures are actually born there is an element of raising the creature. So animals need to be raised from birth to adulthood and trained for the intended purposes, either as a mount, a pet, a beast of burden, or livestock. Animal husbandry feeds a lot of these different aspects; and you'll be able to specialize your focus as an 'animal husbandrist', if that's a word, to one of those particular ends. Players have a multitude of activities to perform like feeding, cleaning the creatures, taking them out for practice rides, training them to fight monsters, etc. This period is very important however- the training period- because it will have the greatest influence on the resulting quality of the genetically determined stats and abilities of the creature once they reach adulthood. So basically as you're discovering these different genetic paths when pairing different animals, and the offspring is born, it will have a window of where a stat block will land. But where it lands will be determined by the training phase by raising the creature up- and that's going to be an important aspect. – Steven Sharif
- I'm not sure that there are going to be recipes per-se. Instead what we're thinking about with the husbandry system is going to be a user interface panel that gives a record of your successes and failures with certain types of breeding attempts; and then from there, if you choose to share that information with other individuals you can of course. But it's not something that's going to be streamlined through an interface that we would use for the player. – Steven Sharif
- Animals have a unique ID that is tied to the husbandry chart (compendium) that takes into account possible combinations between animals. There will be odd combinations, but there will be limits to what is possible.
- Discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
Animal husbandry and taming create mounts, pets, and livestock with unique traits that are determined by their genetics. The genetic system will involve trial and error to determine what yields or combinations are possible. Like real-world genetics this will incorporate an element of RNG.
- You'll be able to breed creatures, study the offspring, and make informed decisions when the features you want to pursue in the next generation become apparent in you in the offspring you've created. – Steven Sharif
- Dominant genetic traits might be discovered with a pairing or there may be a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed or even an entirely new species.
- These chances are improved based on the player's progression within the animal husbandry profession.
- Powerful traits will be hidden in rare spawns and through rare mutations.
- There are elements of recessive and dominant genes; and the discovery of certain types of characteristics that mounts you breed will have based on that RNG element. You can increase the chances there based on proficiency. You can also increase the chances based on method, based on resources, so it's not something that is a pie in the sky RNG number, but rather something that you can hone over time. – Steven Sharif
List of genetic traits
- Combat efficacy (for mounts and combat pets).
Mount abilities and stats
- Mount abilities may provide either horizontal or vertical power gains.
- Tier one mounts will have certain type types of abilities that are unique to the tier ones and the tier twos will have certain abilities that are unique to the tier twos. In some cases those will be horizontal; in other cases they'll be vertical power gain. So it just depends on the situation. It's a situational element. – Steven Sharif
- Based on skill choice, mounts can be used as initiation vehicles, escape vehicles, utility vehicles, and traversal vehicles.
- Mounts have obviously many different applications and that's also going to speak to its identity when it has a skill selection choice too. Like do you- are you more aggressive in initiation with your mount? Okay well you probably want the ones that are going to be able to charge through and do some type of CC effect on players in front of you. Are you more about using them out to dodge and avoid different types of things? Well then you probably want some type of invulnerability skills or some type of protective skills that you can activate at certain times. Are you going to be more traversal and focus on speed you use your mount just go around the world and you don't really care about the combat aspect? Well then you probably want some skill sets on your mount that reflect that. – Steven Sharif
- Mounts will have varied speeds.
- There's definitely a difficulty from a balance perspective obviously on the design side when you're having to incorporate speeds that are so radically different from the normal player movement speeds; and mounts do have a obviously a significantly faster component there. But that's why you build into the to the skill sets that players have obviously those types of cc's which can either, as we spoke about previously, knock the player off of their mount, kill them with some massive damage, or stun the player. Those are components that are taken into account when balancing out these skill selections. – Steven Sharif
- There will be smaller mules.
Since ancient times, the hippogryph has been a symbol of noble and majestic strength for numerous cultures. They are cunning and fiercely independent creatures. A rarity it is, for one to have the opportunity to get close enough without being torn apart by their piercing beaks and talons. However, those fortunate enough to form a bond with a hippogryph will find them to be loyal beings, almost to a fault. It is a sight to see a hippogryph and its rider leading the vanguard of a prestigious army. Such is the inspiration they bring.
Gryphons (griffins, griffons) may refer to:
- Combat pets will incorporate some of their owner's power in a way that keeps the power progression horizontal.
- Power is delegated to the pet when it is summoned and returned to the player immediately when the pet despawns.
Combat pets, which can be acquired by any archetype- and this is essentially an item that exists within your backpack- you cast the item to summon your pet. When it is summoned it's not intended to be a vertical gain of power, because when you make combat pets a vertical power gain, then it becomes a no choice solution: you must have a combat pet if you want to play efficiently- you must have a combat pet; and I wanted to steer clear of that because the way I wanted to approach combat pets was more of a horizontal power choice; meaning: depending on the type of encounter you're facing, depending on the threat assessment you have, a combat pet might be relevant, or it might not. One combat combat pet might be more relevant than another combat pet and that's part of your gear acquisition, your item chase to attain this more comprehensive selection of combat pets that you can have available to you and can be summoned in the event that you want to engage an encounter with a different aspect of your power curve: Not vertical, but horizontal. – Steven Sharif
- Through in-game items.
- Through cosmetics.
- Potentially through a summon creation suite, based on the Animal husbandry system.
- The great thing about the animal husbandry tech that we're creating and the idea of having customization options is that there might be some opportunity there to really create a more customized experience for the summoner and the types of visual representation that their creature has that's more to the players definition. But we will see about that. I think you guys will be getting some updates in the future about that. – Steven Sharif
- Class specific appearance.
- Race specific appearance.
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (25:24).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (1:04:12).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (49:46).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (43:19).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:06:15).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:22:24).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (34:00).
- Twitter - Verra's lush creatures.
- Podcast, May 11, 2018 (1:02:02).
- Video, June 30, 2023 (7:37).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (39:42).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (39:30).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (33:05).
- Livestream, June 1, 2017 (28:42).
- Video, February 26, 2021 (20:25).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:08:10).
- Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:11:24).
- Livestream, October 29, 2021 (51:48:).
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:25:36).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (1:14:21).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:10:04).
- Livestream, May 31, 2023 (1:10:08).
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (1:05:41).
- Blog: A noble steed
- Ashes of Creation Twitter: Perhaps the most quintessential mount, the horse is a tried and true companion.
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (57:18).
- Lore of the Hippogryph.
- Video, June 27, 2019 (3:42).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (1:26:00).
- Interview, January 14, 2022 (42:18).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:21:14).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:24:27).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:15:29).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (0:58).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (1:07:55).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:08:13).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:10:46).
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:26:09).