- For example, if you're creating a sword, and you are crafting that sword, you will have an interface- a gameplay layer that you will see and you will begin to hammer actually that sword into an appropriate outline. And your performance there can help influence the outcome of that craft. – Steven Sharif
- It is likely that Star Wars Galaxies inspired crafting mechanics will be present in Ashes of Creation.
- Without getting into too much detail I will say that it's likely that you will see some inspiration surface itself in that regard. – Steven Sharif
- Previously it was stated that repetitive skill-based crafting mechanics, such as mini-games, are not an intended part of the crafting experience.
- We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - for lack of a better term - mini-game to be something that becomes repetitive and makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Recipes have slots for required and selectable crafting materials. Adding higher rarity selectable materials increases the rarity of the crafted item. Choosing different selectable items can also result in crafted items with different statblocks and unique properties.
- Different tiers of crafting stations represent the quality of the items that can be crafted.
- Higher tier crafting stations are unlocked with node progression.
- Players can only craft up to journeyman level on freeholds.
- Upper-tier crafting benches within a node are accessible by its citizens.
- Legendary crafting benches are present in the Academy unique building of Metropolis (stage 6) Scientific nodes.
- Crafting stations can pull inventory from a player's personal storage and warehouse storage from the node that the crafting station is in.
- There is no limit to the number of players that can use a crafting station at the same time.
- Crafting stations are distinct from processing stations, which are used to process raw materials into processed goods (crafting materials) at nodes or on freeholds.
- Q: Can crafting stations be mobilized / moved and can they be placed anywhere in the world?
- A: It depends on the crafting station. There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent the quality of item you're looking to create within that specific profession. There's going to be crafting stations that can be utilized by players within their freeholds and then crafting stations that are resigned only to the development of particular nodes, within particular areas, or particular buildings... There's a wide variety of those things to make it a more dynamic experience and something that caveat how players decide to build the world and what the value of those things are. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (39:43).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (35:22).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (45:41).
- Podcast, May 11, 2018 (27:20).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).
- Video, November 30, 2023 (59:21).
- Video, November 30, 2023 (1:01:04).
- Video, August 31, 2023 (45:06).
- Blog: Exploring the Boundless Opportunities of Freeholds.
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (31:49).
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:38:26).
- Livestream, May 12, 2017 (1:00:18).
- Livestream, November 30, 2023 (1:38:47).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (17:31).
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (6:38).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (4:43).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:17:33).
- Livestream, November 30, 2023 (1:26:16).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:08:02).
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (40:20).
- Interview, July 20, 2020 (20:17).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (24:18).