Buying and selling
Player stalls, personal shops, and auction houses enable buying from and selling to other players.
|Player stalls||Personal shops||Auction houses|
Player stalls (also called Kiosks and rental stalls) are rentable locations near the unique building in an Economic node or in Marketplaces (the constructible building available for placement by mayors of any Town (stage 4) node or higher).
All nodes do have the ability to spawn player stalls. If you're not an economic node and you don't have a market- that's essentially your unique building- then you can construct essentially what is I guess would be called a... marketplace; and that marketplace will then come with certain services and it will come with a certain number of stalls. The economic node as I recall has the ability to construct an auction house and the auction house serves through the economic means the ability to list and sell items and that comes with additional stalls as well for the players. – Steven Sharif
Renting a player stall enables players to sell items as well as provide repair and enchanting services, even when they are not online.
- Player stalls are rentable by node citizens.
- Player stalls may be utilized for a period of time based on the price paid to rent the stall.
- Player stalls are linked to a player's warehouse.
- Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.
- Player stalls do not require the attendance of the character or for that character to be online.
- Bulletin boards that list the items available in player stalls can be accessed from anywhere in the region.
- These give the location of the stall so players can travel there and purchase the items.
- Stall sales are also listed in auction houses.
- This may no longer be accurate.
- Players are able to input required items for repair and also purchase required materials for that repair.
- Player stalls may still operate during node siege declaration. This is subject to testing.
Certificates to place Personal shops (player-owned shops) may be purchased by citizens and non-citizens from Economic nodes.
- These certificates allow the placement of a personal shop near the unique building in an economic node or on a freehold.
- Once the economic node has reached metropolis stage, personal shops may be placed anywhere in the world.
- When a character creates a personal shop, a billboard pops up above them with a custom advertisement message for items or services available on that character's person. Purchasers can interact directly with the character to purchase these items or services.
A player shop is where you have a certificate to essentially create a shop with your character and a little billboard will pop up above you as you sit down for that shop and advertise a custom message that you want say that has to sell things and/or services that are on your person. So players can then come up to you and they can interact with you. So you reside yourself to that shop. – Steven Sharif
Auction houses enable players to list items at the Economic node in which the auction house is located.
- A listing fee will be charged to list items in the auction house.
- Vassal nodes of the auction house node will be able to view items that are listed on that auction house, regardless of node type of the vassal node.
- Items listed are also visible in community boards (bulletin boards).
- Integrated auction houses allow players to purchase items directly from remote auction houses.
- Purchases of materials and gatherables will be automatically deposited within the listing node's local warehouse. Players will need to travel to that warehouse to retrieve them. Players wishing to move these items elsewhere will need to utilize the caravan system or other type of transportation.
- Purchases of anything other than materials and gatherables will be mailed to the purchaser.
- There may be a taxation difference between auction houses versus other player businesses.
Data relating to auction houses, such as price history, volumes, average prices, may be available to players via a mayor-constructed service building in their node.
- That's probably how it's going to be surfaced... Your your mayor is going to have to build it for you. – Jeffrey Bard
Auction house locations
Auction houses accompany unique node buildings in Economic nodes.
- Markets in Village level economic nodes have auction houses that allow raw resources and processed goods to be posted.
- Exchanges in Town nodes have expanded auction houses that allow all goods/items to be posted.
- Economic nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the linked economy superpower.
- Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.
- Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.
- Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.
- Linked economies also connect an economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.
Bulletin boards are available within nodes and player taverns.
- A market UI lists the current items available for sale in the node and in the same economic region.
- This includes items for sale in player stalls and auction houses.
- Players can't purchase directly from the market UI. Instead it gives the location of player stalls where the items may be purchased.
- Encourage localized grouping.
- Enable posting of jobs.
- Quest sponsorship.
Merchant NPCs (also called Vendors) are present from the first stage of node development (Expedition).
- Merchant NPCs are identified by a golden shimmer on their nameplates.
- Merchant NPCs will in general be able to buy items from players.
Player to player trading
There will be player to player trading in Ashes of Creation.
- Player to player trading, interacting with vendors or NPCs, and the ability to access storage is disabled for corrupted players.
- Q: Will Ashes of Creation have player-to-player trading? Will there be anything stopping me from gifting a friend that's fresh to the game a bunch of in-game money to help them get on their feet quickly?
- A: There won't be anything to stop you from doing that. – Steven Sharif
An escrow system is planned to prevent griefing in the crafting system.
- We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
- Raw gatherables and materials are not able to be mailed by players.
- Purchases of anything other than materials and gatherables from integrated auction houses will be mailed to the purchaser.
- Social messages sent via mail will be received instantly.
- It hasn't been decided whether crafted items such as gear will be able to be sent via mail.
- From an item standpoint obviously we can't allow mailing to include any type of resource material or raw gatherable because those are central to the gameplay and transiting through the caravan system and economic regions. But it may be possible to send completed crafted items like you know gear, equipment, stuff like that. But it's something we're still discussing. – Steven Sharif
Player owned businesses
Our business owner system... grants players a meaningful existence in the world and rewards them for their persistence, dedication and survivability. – Steven Sharif
There's no reason why you couldn't license your name to somebody else who also has a freehold and who also has an Inn and work together. – Jeffrey Bard
There will not be a theft (stealing/pickpocketing) mechanic in Ashes of Creation in regards to living players.
- There may be quest related actions that involve some form of stealing, but not of actual items from a player's inventory, where the player is identified as the quest's target via a title or some other means.
That kind of emergent gameplay is obviously the objective behind how can we accommodate a non-static quest-line; and the way you do that is you can apply a flag to a title and whoever holds that title becomes the target of that quest segment. And this can change too because that title can change- you know different people might rise up in the ranks of different societies and organizations. – Steven Sharif
- Players are not able to be robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.
There is not a theft mechanic for you to walk up to a player that's alive and steal something. – Steven Sharif
Storage points exist at warehouses within nodes and in chests (storage containers) that can be placed in freeholds and static in-node housing.
Warehouses are storage points within a node.
- Warehouses may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alts. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
- Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within a node following a siege declaration against that node.
- Player stalls are linked to that player's warehouse.
- A portion of all Materials (crafting components) and Gatherables that were stored in successfully sieged nodes become lootable to the victors of the siege as spoils of war.
- Whole items (crafted items) are not vulnerable to loss during node sieges.
- Corrupt players may not store items in public warehouses.
- Personal caravans may be launched from any point of storage (including warehouses).
Player housing storage
Chests are a type of furniture that provides localized storage within a specific house.
- Players must obtain and place storage containers in their player-owned housing.
- Different grades of storage containers have different inventory capacities.
- There are restrictions on the grades of storage containers available in different types of houses.
- Access permissions can be set to allow others to access a player's personal storage devices.
- Personal storage chests may be set to permit access by family or guild members.
- Transfer of resources and materials to alts will only be possible via player housing storage, as this is local to the specific house.
- Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within a node following a siege declaration against that node.
- Gatherables and processed goods that were stored in in-node housing and apartment storage chests become lootable upon a successful siege against the parent node. These do not become lootable if the node survives the siege- even if the housing buildings are destroyed or damaged during the siege.
- Corrupt players are able to utilize private storage in their Freeholds.
- Personal caravans may be launched from any point of storage (including chests).
Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
Players buy the deeds for housing from the node itself. Players can also buy and sell properties from other players.
- Housing will have a base price that scales with the number of citizens in the node.
- In-node housing will be at a premium, and is expected to be hotly contested.
- The more apartments that have been purchased in a node, the higher the price scales.
- The developers are considering an auction-based method for listing new properties that become available for purchase when a node advances.
- Static housing and apartments can be listed and sold to other players.
- There is no cap on the price of player-originated housing sales.
- Player housing that is destroyed during a node siege can no longer be sold.
- Freeholds may not be sold to other players. This is subject to change based on testing.
There's no cap essentially in player originated sales. Those are determined essentially by supply and demand as it is within the game and there's no artificial barrier to how high that demand can go. – Steven Sharif
- Housing ownership can default back to the node if the owner fails to pay their property taxes. A balance and penalties will be charged to the new purchaser of the home in the manner of a "foreclosure process".
- Players will not be able to exceed their allotment of housing in the game.
This will allow players to transfer real property goods. This includes ... static housing, this includes apartments that they may own; and they can sell those because those will have a limited and finite quantity. – Steven Sharif
Rental and leasing concepts are currently under consideration.
Some concepts that we have is going to be rental or leases that could be had allowing players to kind of lease a property for a period of time where they will have control rights over utilizing storage based on the area, controlling the furniture or access point; all that kind of stuff. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (16:36).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:34:06).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Livestream, October 16, 2017 (59:39).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 Livestream, May 30, 2019 (1:26:16).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Interview, July 8, 2020 (55:05).
- ↑ 9.00 9.01 9.02 9.03 9.04 9.05 9.06 9.07 9.08 9.09 9.10 9.11 Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:03:52).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:04:59).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (35:16).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Interview, July 8, 2020 (57:46).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:14:44).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Ashes of Creation Instagram, 2020-08-19.
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:00:57).
- ↑ Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:06:09).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Store: Confectioner’s Delight.
- ↑ Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:04:49).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:15:03).
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (33:57).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Livestream, October 31, 2017 (28:58).
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 The mighty beard!
- ↑ Livestream, May 12, 2017 (53:08).
- ↑ Livestream, May 10, 2017 (16:37).
- ↑ Livestream, October 31, 2017 (30:34).
- ↑ Livestream, March 28, 2020 (50:57).
- ↑ Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- ↑ Video, May 31, 2020 (5:25).
- ↑ Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:11:29).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Livestream, May 15, 2017 (10:32).
- ↑ Livestream, January 18, 2018 (46:56).
- ↑ Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:12:24).
- ↑ Livestream, October 28, 2022 (24:28).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:49).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (32:22).
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 42.2 42.3 Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:14:53).
- ↑ Video, September 6, 2018 (3:53).
- ↑ Livestream, July 9, 2018 (50:16).
- ↑ Livestream, June 28, 2019 (51:37).
- ↑ Podcast, April 23, 2018 (29:56).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (50:00).
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Interview, February 7, 2021 (16:05).
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Podcast, May 5, 2017 (43:05).
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Interview, February 7, 2021 (19:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (41:45).
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 Interview, December 6, 2018 (20:30).
- ↑ Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 54.2 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (23:18).
- ↑ Interview, July 19, 2020 (41:32).
- ↑ 56.0 56.1
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 Livestream, June 25, 2021 (22:34).
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 58.2 Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 59.3 Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- ↑ Livestream, August 17, 2018 (10:54).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:12:33).
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 Livestream, June 26, 2020 (51:58).
- ↑ 63.0 63.1 Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:23:31).
- ↑ MMOGames interview, January 2017
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 Livestream, June 26, 2020 (53:41).
- ↑ Livestream, May 12, 2017 (52:01).
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 70.2 70.3 Livestream, May 12, 2017 (55:01).
- ↑ 71.0 71.1 Livestream, June 26, 2020 (47:32).
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (54:03).
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 Interview, July 8, 2020 (33:34).
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:02:12).
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (56:08).
- ↑ 76.0 76.1 76.2 76.3 Livestream, May 30, 2019 (1:23:41).