- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
There are many different ways to achieve recipes. We want to take crafting and house the location of those recipes throughout different progression paths, so that not everything is pigeon-holed into one way forward. – Steven Sharif
- Drops from monsters.
- Completing quest lines.
- Becoming Mayor may unlock specific node-related recipes.
- Progression within a social organization, such as the Thieves' guild or Scholar's academy.
- Killing a legendary boss.
- Gaining a title.
- By constructing certain buildings on a freehold.
- Based on status within a religious organization/church.
- Deconstructing/dissassembling rare item drops from bosses can yield recipes that can be used to replicate that item.
- There may be a royalty system where players can license recipes to other players for a certain amount of time and collect royalties.
We talked about having this idea where if somebody discovers a recipe they get exclusive access to that recipe for a given amount of time similar to a patent; and then they can license that recipe out to other crafters so they can use the recipe and eventually that timer runs out and then everybody can use it, but we wanted to reward people for experimentation and going out in the world and finding something new. – Steven Sharif
- There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent the quality of the items being crafted.
- Q: Can crafting stations be mobilized / moved and can they be placed anywhere in the world?
- A: It depends on the crafting station. There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent you know the quality of item you're looking to create within that specific profession. There's going to be crafting stations that can be utilized by players within their freeholds and then crafting stations that are resigned only to the development of particular nodes, within particular areas, or particular buildings... There's a wide variety of those things to kind of make it a more dynamic experience and and kind of something that caveat how players decide to build the world and what the value of those things are. – Steven Sharif
Skill-based crafting mechanics have been considered and may be a part of the final design.
We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - you know for lack of a better term - mini game to be something that becomes repetitive and kind of makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (5:25).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (35:11).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (28:38).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:38:26).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (1:00:18).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (27:20).