Add the Ashes of Creation Wiki Bot to your Discord server.
Seasonal events (holidays) in Ashes of Creation are not a direct parallel with real world events. Instead, there will be in-game lore behind seasonal events that can relate to the real-world in some way.
For example, this upcoming cosmetic bundle that's going to be available during the time of Halloween won't necessarily be pumpkins and candy corn type of cosmetics, but instead will be a bit darker. That way it can still be relevant to real world. And then additionally it may be possible as we localize and culturalize for other territories that we have the same philosophy with region-specific events. – Steven Sharif
- A raid boss, such as a winter dragon, may appear because a node has developed to Town (stage 4). This may bring an eternal winter that affects crop rotations until it is killed.
- These won't be out of place in terms of immersion. They will be homages.
There will be some real world references, particularly with regards to potentially real world holidays as well as some historical events or cultures. For example the PAX East kind of ship that was named Eleanor that we released a cosmetic of, you know, being a reference to the Eleanor ship that the tea was thrown off of; or kind of colonialesque look. – Steven Sharif
- There will be regions of the map with seasons that are less (or more) temperate.
- For example: Northern, Southern and Tropical regions.
- Events may radically change the current season a zone is in, or elongate it.
- There will also be magical seasons where you might be in a tropical zone and suddenly it's snowing.
- Items, crops, buildings, and crafting mechanics might gain certain buffs or debuffs in certain seasons.
Winter might have a spawner that activates on a road that spawns at large fallen tree and players who see that will have an opportunity to go up and exert some type of one-time action that helps in removing that tree and it might require you know X number of people to do that before the tree gets removed; and that you know as an example is not beneficial for the transit of goods because as you know caravans require- well they don't require but they move better on roads and if that tree were present let's say blocking you know a road that led to a bridge per-se that they would have to off-road. – Steven Sharif
- Pathways that are open during summer may be closed during winter.
- Seasonal affects may cause obstacles or blockages to the transit of goods via caravan.
- Water turning to ice in winter, enabling players to walk over the water but blocking access to what is underneath.
- Ice will make roads bumpy and slippery.
- Each month in real-life will effectively be a full seasonal rotation in the game.
- Environmental seasons are not to be confused with PvP seasons, which last for six months.
In Ashes of Creation the world will change on a regular basis. Zones will progress in a seasonal cycle, which will alter the very nature of the environment around you. Snow may block pathways that are accessible in warmer months, spring may encourage creatures otherwise unseen to come to the surface, and fall might be the only time that certain crops thrive. This cycle can then take in the state of the world’s Nodes and shift depending on their progression.
Events are things that happen in Ashes of Creation as the result of development in the world. They can take the form of quests, pop-up triggered quests or other story lines that happen throughout the world. Events are public quests that are scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs.
- Some events incorporate random story-driven interruptions to the normal flow of the world, such as blocking off specific roadways, having a random raid boss appear unexpectedly in a zone, leading to change of climate and changes to crop rotations.
- Events that are taken care of successfully have positive consequences.
- Events that reach a fail condition have negative consequences, such as natural disasters.
Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached).
Events... can be local, regional or global, and consist of boons or banes. They’re triggered based on a lot of different variables, and some may be one-off Events that occur once, and never again. If an Event is handled successfully, then something good happens to the local, regional, or global area. If it fails, then something bad befalls the local, regional or global area. They’ll relate to the overall Narrative, but don’t fall into its overall structure (for the most part). These are the things that will be written into history, and we imagine that as time grows, each server’s history will diverge more and more.
There may be one-off events.
- If events don't occur within a certain time period, they could occur randomly.
Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads. There are events that lead to the spreading of corruption that players will have to fight back against. When these events that occur players will need to participate to keep the intrusion on the material plane back.
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (40:36).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (23:36).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:27).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (36:28).
- Video, 22 January 2017 (0:02).
- Ashes of Creation Instagram. May 1, 2020.
- Ashes of Creation Facebook. March 19, 2020.
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (41:33).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:29:06).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:32:40).
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (16:34).
- Video, 22 December 2016 (0:01).
- Livestream, 2 October 2019 (29:29).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (23:33).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (46:18).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:32:12).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (54:35).
- Livestream, 8 November 2020 (12:47).