Livestock (and crops) are used to provide ingredients:
While the recipes in Ashes will include unique Verran and Sanctus ingredients and cuisine, it will also have familiar dishes and recipes present, which may include Turkey and cranberries. The Verran cookbook is diverse and broad in it's available dishes. – Steven Sharif
Cooking is a crafting profession in Ashes of Creation.
To make cooking relevant, all food needs to do something. – Peter Pilone
Recipes are discovered and can be combined to create unique dishes.
You'll be able to take the items that you cook and you will be able to place them in a business should you choose. – Steven Sharif
Crafted furniture may contain bonuses based on the quality and grade of the furniture.
Food and drink
Food and drink in Ashes of Creation will provide benefits (buffs) based on the type of consumable.
- The higher quality the food item, the greater duration of the buffs.
- Buffs from some very high quality consumables may persist through death.
- Food buffs can be increased through the furniture system.
- For example if you have a completed dish and you process that dish inside of let's say an oven that has to be constructed and placed within a certain grade home, you can increase the effects. – Steven Sharif
- Food buffs can also be proximity-based, such as with tavern consumables.
Ashes of Creation is not a survival game. Characters will not need to eat food to stay alive.