- A player chooses their primary archetype at the start of the game.
- Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills within their skill tree.
- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
- A player may choose a secondary archetype when they reach level 25. The combination of primary and secondary archetypes is referred to as a class.
- The player can then augment their primary skills with effects from their secondary archetype.
- Each skill in the primary tree will have several augment options from the secondary tree. This is an example of horizontal progression.
- Augments to primary skills can fundamentally change the way the ability works - adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary archetype/class.
If a Fighter were to choose Mage as a secondary archetype, the fighter would become a Spellsword. This combination opens up augments that can be applied to skills in their primary skill tree. Fighters have a Rush skill that allows them to rush towards a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down. A Mage's escape augment could be applied to the rush skill, which would now teleport the player to the target; thus eliminating the charge time on the skill.
Classes by archetype combination
- Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation. Each augment school affects a primary archetype's skills in different ways.
- For example: A Mage offers Teleportation and elemental schools of augments. These augments will affect a Fighter's primary skills differently than a Cleric's.
- Each augmentation has a level requirement and number of skill points required to activate it.
- There's going to be a certain threshold at which you can no longer augment your active abilities based on the decisions you've augmented previous abilities, so you'll have to pick and choose which ones you want to apply the augments towards; and certain augments will have more expense required on the skill point side. – Steven Sharif
- Augments to primary skills will fundamentally change the way the ability works: Adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary archetype.
- Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village node or higher.
- Some spell colors and general FX change based on augments.
- Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.
- Outside of class-specific skills there may be a subset of universal skills, such as active block and dodge.
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:05:04).
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (54:44).
- Ashes of Creation class list.
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (19:05).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (50:50).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:43).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:31:11).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (54:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (1:00:44).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (22:27).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:47:55).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (41:56).
- Livestream, 17 December 2019 (1:13:14).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:07:06).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:09:22).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:45).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (53:15).
- Livestream, 19 November 2021 (50:38).
- Livestream, 24 September 2021 (1:18:06).