- Intrepid Studios will be opening offices in Amsterdam to help support their publishing operations in the EU (European Union) and CIS regions.
We have learned a lot from our partnership with MY.GAMES, and we wish our friends there all the best as we have mutually decided to part ways. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce that Intrepid Studios will be opening European offices in Amsterdam to help support our publishing operations in the EU/CIS regions. We have recently posted open positions for our new EU offices, and look forward to hiring the best and brightest in true Intrepid fashion. – Steven Sharif
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale early access testing ended on March 10, 2020. It was previously available for download on the official website and on Steam.
- The monthly subscription fee is USD $14.99.
- Lifetime subscriptions were granted to crowdfunding backers at the Braver of worlds level or higher. These will never be available again.
I think a sub cost provides both the barrier of entry to prevent, some not all, but mitigate some gold selling bots and whatnot because there's a cost associated with playing the game, but it's also not too high that it gets on the greedy side or prevents a lot of players from participating and trying the game; and then if the game is good then people will continue to subscribe and that subscription provides funding and revenue for the developers to continue a significant content creation and expansion rollout for the game. – Steven Sharif
- Subscriptions will begin at launch or, subject to change, a user may be able to choose to activate their subscription to start at a particular point in time.
There is no P2W in Apocalypse or the MMORPG!
Nobody should feel that they have to back the project to see it come to life. It's coming to life regardless of that. You do it because you want to support us and that's fine; and if you don't want to, that's also fine as well. We want to hear your voice and we want you to be part of the community, so that's a very important aspect. Nothing we offer in the pre-order packages are power driven. They don't give any competitive advantage to an individual who backs the game. – Steven Sharif
Pay to win
Ashes of Creation will not be pay to win, that is our pledge to the community. One of the core principles we set forth with Ashes of Creation is a very strong desire to maintain the game's even playing field.
A lot of developers and companies have come along in the past- and I've been hit by this too- and they've said we're not going to have pay-to-win and then boom they roll out some pay-to-win. We have consistently said we won't be pay-to-win and in the pre-orders that we provide and even in the Kickstarter there were absolutely zero pay-to-win components whatsoever. So not only will we talk the talk but we will walk the walk as well. – Steven Sharif
Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be level boosts or auto-leveling.
- There will not be a loot box system in Ashes of Creation.
We will not use a loot box system for cosmetics either. We currently have a cosmetic store that offers limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development. These items are purely decorative and do not offer any in-game benefits.
- Multiple accounts and multi-boxing on separate computers is not currently considered pay-to-win.
My definition of pay-to-win is really anything that affects the in-game economy, the in-game action pool, your abilities and/or skills... In my opinion the inventory slots and the XP potions would be considered pay-to-win. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Will there be RNG boxes?
- A: I dislike RNG. Archeage made me loath rng monetization gimmicks. – Steven Sharif
- The frequency and size of expansions will be based on the popularity and subscription base of the game.
- Larger expansions will add new content and increase various aspects of the game.
- New content will primarily be introduced through the node system. The goal is for existing content to remain relevant alongside the new content.
Because of the modularity of a lot of the systems that we're working on, it's not too hard to iterate and implement new things... We're planning on going on a quarterly/ monthly cycle to continue to push out new content. – Jeffrey Bard
The quarterly cycle for the big content is good for us and then, as you said, those modular components to our mechanisms in the game allow for us to introduce smaller content patches that can be seen in real time in the world. – Steven Sharif
We don't intend to a wordsmith around future charge for DLC content. As a subscription model, that's part of the agreement between us as a Studio and you guys: That there will be regularly scheduled updates and chapters; and that subscription is what allows you to access that content. – Steven Sharif
Cosmetic store (micro transactions)
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable. There will be no gifting mechanism for cosmetic items.
- Alpha-0 was the invite-only "raffle" friends and family alpha test phase.
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 were available for purchase during the Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding campaigns.
- Alpha-1 was available in the Intrepid pre-order pack and the Adventurer pre-order pack.
- Alpha-2 and Beta-2 were available during PAX West 2017.
- Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 are currently available in Pre-order packs on the cosmetic store.
- Interview, 21 August 2018 (11:20).
- Blog: New Adventure Awaits.
- Pre-order packs
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (53:34).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:21:03).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:53:46).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (1:08:47).
- Livestream, 31 October 2018 (38:47).
- Blog: Steam Announce And Play Test FAQ For Ashes of Creation Apocalypse
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (1:05:10).
- Livestream, 23 December 2021 (1:23:41).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (56:02).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (48:28).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:57:56).
- Interview, 13 June 2021 (48:27).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (21:57).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (11:14).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (1:02:38).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:26:54).
- Interview, 13 June 2021 (42:22).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (19:12).
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (58:29).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (32:36).
- Kickstarter packages.
- MMOGAMES Interview, 8 September 2017.
- Intrepid pre-order pack.
- Adventurer pre-order pack.
- PAX West 2017 Alpha package.
- PAX West 2017 Beta package.