- The developers are considering the inclusion of dodging in a subset of universal skills that apply to all classes.
- Hybrid combat will likely have true evasion skills relating to action-oriented combat and also have I-frames (invincibility frames) that apply to tab targeting.
- Q: Will there be evade frames/ I-frames on dodge?
- A: I would say it's a safe bet with regards to how we're approaching the hybrid combat that not only are gonna have true evasion skills that apply to more action-oriented skills that are coming your way, but you'll also have you know I-frame type skills that would apply perhaps to a tab targetable skills coming your way. So I think you're gonna have a healthy balance of both with it when it comes to skills that you can spec into. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 has enabled improved forms of locomotion, such as crouching, tilting and mantling.
- Previously it was said that crouching may not be in the game.
- Prone will likely not be in the game.
- Moving backward will likely not affect block and parry.
I think that that generally we want to tend to be more mobile in our classes. I think that it's a fundamentally old-school philosophy to have a lot of stuck in place type skills. That isn't to say we won't have skills that have mobility restriction on them- that require you to channel or require a casting time where you can't move; but I think it's a blend between the two. It's neither extreme. – Steven Sharif
It'll be something that you can spec around to. Again it's gonna be a risk/reward thing. We put a lot of thought into what skills are overpowered or have kind of this overpowering nature to them and those are the kinds of skills that will generally find that will be like in-place type of skills; where you are now at risk if you are going to cast this spell, but there's a big reward if you do manage to get it off. – Jeffrey Bard
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Blink||Blinks forward in the direction you are traveling.||Now deals damage to enemies surrounding your departure location.||Reduced cooldown.|
|Jump||Dash with cooldown.||Cooldown is replaced by charges with individual cooldown.||Drops a bear trap at the location the ranger dashed from.|
|Rush||Rush toward a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down.||-||-|
|Sprint||Increases movement speed. Using an ability ends sprint.||Increased resistance to disable abilities.||Clears crowd control when sprint starts and removes silence.|
I've instructed design to incorporate a mana consumption that's percentage based for sprinting. So it'll be a similar amount of time that each class, regardless of their mana values, will have in order to sprint and it will not be accessible while in a combat. – Steven Sharif
There is a toggleable walk/run (autorun) capability.
There is not going to be any "go to waypoint" (auto-pathing) mechanics.
- Inertia and momentum physics will help prevent blocking doorways/access points. This is based on a character's direction and movement speed, and can be used to push people out of the way.
We will have things that are known as sort of like racial abilities which will key into the class that you've chosen and those will almost certainly have animations that are kind of like one-offs that are associated with that class. They'll help you get some more like you know Ren'Kai flavor or some more Empyrean flavor but we have to reuse animations as much as possible in order to get to the finish line here so it'd be a super nice thing to do but probably not in the cards. – Jeffrey Bard
We're going to be discussing internally amongst the designers and the combat team and then we will likely share with the community once we've nailed down a few approaches and prototype them out. – Steven Sharif
- The developers are considering the inclusion of active blocking in a subset of universal skills that apply to all classes.
This is something we're still actively iterating on and actively going to be testing in our hybrid system but you know as we're as we're doing that we are taking into consideration. Obviously we want action based components to also interact in some way shape or form with the waterfall stat system as well; and you know that seems like it might be an oxymoron from an action to tab sense, but it doesn't have to be. There can be components of action- so say for instance you could have a dual component where you activate that shield stance and if you accurately intercept an incoming projectile or a skill that's been initiated from the forward arc, you get 80% damage mitigation or 80% application of the physical defense of the shield; and if it comes from an area outside of that forward arc then you get a lesser bonus; and that essentially what would happen is let's say you take into account the stat of the shield's physical defense value, you apply it as a mitigating factor to the incoming damage, but in addition you augment that system with the waterfall stat that is responsible for shield damage mitigation or shield rate; and maybe you know the default skill says 80% damage mitigation from forward arc but that gets augmented up to 87% because of your stat essentially; and if it's not in your forward arc then it gets you know 50% efficacy- maybe it's 40 something percent. So just to give you kind of insight into what goes into kind of determining these skills and how they interact on an action-based front. – Steven Sharif
- The Paladin's Might shield in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse had its own hit box and hit points (HP); that could actively block projectiles.
In APOC when we had the active shield stance- that was an active shield block action-based system; and when we collected design data on essentially the efficacy and essentially the accuracy of players who used that wasn't very high; and there is a concern at least on the front of implementing a action restricted type active shield block as opposed to what would traditionally be along the lines of activating a buff that grants a shield block rate adjustment and is universal on incoming damage- and interfaces with the stats- is really something that we're leaning towards in incorporating for the hybrid combat system. – Steven Sharif
- The goal is to give more agency to the player and achieve a more fluid flow of combat with greater mobility when using abilities.
- The current hybrid tab and action combat system will remain after the revamp.
- This revamp will not represent the final form of combat, but will set the general direction that combat will be taking.
- The revamp will be iterative and will be rolled out to testers in different phases.
- Q: Based on recent feedback, what direction are you leaning towards in regards to split-body versus root-motion?
- A: We are leaning towards split body. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Are you still considering whether the combined action/tab targeting combat will be replaced by either tab only or action only?
- A: No, I think that we will find a healthy medium between the two. I think that really what it comes down to is the definition of action; and I think that there is a varying degree of opinions on what action targeting means so to speak. But as I've clearly defined in the past, and as you can research in on the Wiki, our opinion on- at least my opinion on- action combat is I think well represented in the way we want to hybridize that combat in Ashes of Creation; and I think that there is going to be a good balance between those two and it should be a seamless transition between the two as well. And you know we're going to be fleshing that out further as we move forward. – Steven Sharif
- Targeting modes are able to be achieved through choice of skills/abilities.
- It may not be possible to be able to fully spec into just action or tab targeted skills. There might be a 75% cap on choosing skills from any one type.
- Different ranks of the same skill can change the skill from tab to action targeted or vice-versa.
- The action camera is tied to the to player's reticle. There will likely be a hotkey that when held down will allow free camera movement.
- In future the user will have the ability to choose from different reticle appearances.
Skill progressions, skill point allocation is determined by the player. The player will be able to choose either more tab-target oriented skills or more action-based skills and customize their playable experience to what accommodates their preference. From a balancing standpoint for us developers, we need to make sure that certain abilities house certain functions so that there's a balance between skill shots and tab-target abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Action oriented and tab oriented versions of skills will have different characteristics. Variables will change based on which version is chosen.
As an example: Let's say you're playing a ranged class. You could have an action-oriented power shot in your skill tree or you could have a single target power shot that ramps up and does more damage.  – Steven Sharif
- A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab targeted combat modes.
- The action mode utilizes a targeting reticle and is very close to a third-person action game.
- The player does not have to be in reticle mode to use an action combat ability.
- If you use an action combat ability that's going to be directional focused, you do not have to be in reticle mode to use that. It will fire where that reticle would be. So if you play by feel and you're in tab target camera mode, you can still utilize your action-oriented skills and abilities. – Steven Sharif
- The reticle will highlight/change color (to red) to indicate if the current target is able to be hit with the currently prepared skill.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature but pressing Q while in action mode will lock on to the current target to enable the use of tab-oriented skills in action mode.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature so to speak. Some of those are going to be skill shot only. However because you can have a mix and match of tab abilities that require a target, you will be able to target lock in action mode as well. Right now that's delegated to the Q key as default, but you can obviously set that up you could put it on you know your left mouse button, or you could put it wherever you want; and when your reticle hovers over a target, it rapidly swaps your target ability and when you press your target lock it will then lock that target; and if you have tab-oriented skills, you can use your tab oriented skills and they will be used against that target. – Steven Sharif
- The tab mode (MMO mode) facilitates tab targeted combat. A tab-targeted ability requires a target in order to utilize that skill.
For the purposes of balance, certain skill types will be either tab or action oriented skills. For example:
- Hard CCs may be housed in action oriented skills because they are skill shots that are more difficult to land.
- Softer CC's would be housed in tab-targeted abilities.
- There may be a single unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special collision rules as opposed to having different sized hitboxes.
More than likely we'll have some sort of unified or unified-ish hitbox. But again it's going to probably have a unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special sort of collision rules based on them as opposed to kind of just making it smaller for one and not the other. – Jeffrey Bard
We don't have separate types of hitbox categories, for example. There's no head hit box in the MMORPG like there was in APOC. So from a critical standpoint you're not going to see a greater risk of critting for a larger hitbox. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:19:24).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:24:06).
- Livestream, 19 November 2021 (50:38).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:34:12).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (27:41).
- Video, 26 February 2021 (6:17).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (1:17:13).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (43:30).
- Livestream, 23 December 2021 (55:32).
- Video, 23 December 2021 (23:53).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:30:40).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (31:22).
- Interview, 13 June 2021 (4:12).
- Livestream, 28 May 2021 (1:13:05).
- Video, 23 December 2020 (1:17).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (57:33).
- Video, 22 December 2020 (7:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (45:52).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (46:22).
- Video, 25 May 2017 (0:02).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (1:11:29).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (51:57).
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (1:35:38).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (15:20).
- Livestream, 22 December 2020 (1:12:56).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:05:11).
- Livestream, 24 September 2021 (1:22:46).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:19:50).
- Livestream, 28 May 2021 (1:14:50).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (49:18).
- Livestream, 27 August 2021 (1:15:39).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:15:39).
- Livestream, 25 June 2021 (22:34).
- Livestream, 16 November 2017 (30:45).
- Livestream, 27 August 2021 (1:16:04).
- Livestream, 25 June 2021 (27:43).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (37:57).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:12:50).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (59:21).
- Livestream, 25 June 2021 (26:11).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:07:59).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:11:05).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (1:09:51).
- Interview, 15 April 2019 (38:03).
- Livestream, 25 June 2021 (27:10).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (40:19).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:15:59).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (1:11:25).