Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Damage numbers will not be so large as to be meaningless.
- We don't see the need to have these enormous numbers that are really start to lose meaning. That seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in PvP and in PvE; but our design system allows for a more manageable damage protocol for PvE and PvP to be shared; and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers. – Steven Sharif
- Death by fall damage is possible.
Damage types and resistances
- Certain damage types will be strong or weak against certain enemy types. So you'll have to be somewhat smart about who you're bringing where, or what abilities or specs. Obviously, you'll be able to do the content, but you'll have an easier time with certain contents if you're using a certain spec over others. – Tradd Thompson
- Holy/radiant damage are modifying energy types that have corresponding synergies and resistances.
- Physical damage is mitigated by plate armor (heavy armor).
- When there's a lot of different complexity that exists between the multi-layered interactions of damage mitigation, resistances, damage penetration... those things stack up over time and there's an opportunity for that subtlety to be more expressed when the receiving target is, let's say, weak to that or... chosen not to spec into any resistances against that. That keeps things fresh and it also keeps a healthy level of itemization progression that's necessary for the player as well. – Steven Sharif
- There is also non-mitigated damage.
- Not every monster is going to have unique resistances. They'll share groups of types of resistances based on whether that monster is a particular elemental affinity or a particular heavy armor, particular weapon type, stuff like that. So there will be resistances groups that are shared by certain types of monsters and their location and as it relates to their lower background and stuff like that. – Steven Sharif
|This section contains information from Alpha-1 testing. It will be updated when new information is made available.|
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Air Strike||Leap a great distance forward and into the air while firing three projectiles in a line along the path, each dealing area damage and inflicting snare to targets hit. Enemies already snared will become briefly rooted. The root effect is nature based.|
|Arcane Volley||Fires a volley of arcane missiles at your target, dealing arcane damage with each hit.||-||-|
|Ball Lightning||Creates a large ball of highly charged electricity that travels slowly forward, dealing rapid periodic lightning damage to enemies it overlaps with and applying 1 Electrified stack to targets with each hit.||-||-|
|Barrage||Fires a continual barrage of arrows at your target for 1.5 seconds, dealing 12% physical damage per arrow.|
|Black Hole||Summon a black hole at the target location that reduces movement speed of enemies in the area.||Increased duration.||Explodes for area damage upon expiration.|
|Blizzard||Channel a massive blizzard around you, raining a barrage of hail shards upon your enemies while channeling. Each shard impact deals ice damage in a small area around it. All enemies in the blizzard also acquire 1 stack of Chilled periodically. Activate the ability again to end the channel early.||-||-|
|Bulwark||Bash enemies in front of you twice. The second attack temporarily increases block chance. You must have a shield equipped to block.||Additional increased block chance.||The second attack knocks down enemies.|
|Castigation||Lashes your target with holy energy whip, dealing direct damage and restoring health and mana to yourself over time.||Heals you instantly for an additional amount upon hit.||Restores health and mana to nearby party members for the duration.|
|Chains of Restraint||Call forth spectral chains in a target area that stagger enemies within or stun enemies already under the staggered effect, then leave behind an area that deals radiant damage each second over 8 seconds.|
|Cone of Cold||Blasts a cone of cold in front of the caster, dealing ice damage and applying a stack of Chilled to each enemy hit. The blast also leaves behind a field of ice mines that explode on proximity contact, causing ice damage and 1 Chilled stack to nearby enemies when triggered.||-||-|
|Consecrating Wave||Send forth a cone of radiance that deals radiant damage to all enemies while healing the ten nearest allies.|
|Divine Censure||Hurls a radiant spear at the target, dealing damage.||Further attacks upon the target have a chance to heal the attacker.||The target has a chance to deal damage to itself when it attacks.|
|Drain Essence||Drain your target for damage over time, and gain return mana to yourself over the duration.||Heals you over the duration.||Reduced cooldown.|
|Fireball||Instantly hurl a ball of fire toward your target, dealing fire damage and applying 1 stack of Burning to target on impact. Burning deals periodic fire damage over time for each stack applied. When the target reaches 5 stacks, they become Conflagrated, dealing extreme fire damage over time. Hitting a conflagrating enemy with a lightning spell causes Fusion, dealing significant damage and removing the Conflagrated effect.||-||-|
|Frostbolt||Launch a bolt of frost towards your target, dealing ice damage and applying 2 Chilled stacks to the target on impact. Chilled reduces movement speed of the target for each stack applied. When the target reaches 5 stacks, they become Frozen, rooting them in place for the duration. Hitting a frozen enemy with a lightning spell causes them to Shatter, dealing significant damage and removing the Frozen effect.||-||-|
|Grapple||Takes aim for a moment before hurling a hooked chain in a line, damaging the first target it contacts and immediately pulling them to the caster. The target suffers a tapering snare for 3 seconds.|
|Headshot||Deals 175% physical damage to target enemy. Deals 50% bonus physical damage if the target is below 50% Health. Cooldown is halved if it connects with a marked target. Cast time cut in half if fired within 2s of another projectile.|
|Inciting Strikes||Slashes twice in a forward cone while adding additional threat.|
|Judgment||Cast a heal on target ally for a large amount of health. If this is cast on an enemy, it instead deals radiant damage to the target and applies 2 stacks of Burning.|
|Lava Storm||Creates a field of lava at the selected location. Deals area damage over time.||Increased damage. Increased duration.||Increased damage. Increased duration.|
|Lightning Strike||Held ability: Charge up a bolt of lightning to unleash upon your target, dealing lightning damage and applying 2 stacks of Electrified to the target. This deals additional damage based on how long it was charged. Electrified reduces the target's magical mitigation for each stack applied. When the target reaches 10 stacks, all Electrified stacks are consumed and they become temporarily Shocked. Whenever a Shocked enemy takes damage, they take additional damage and 1 stack of Shocked is consumed. Shocked is initially applied with 20 stacks.||-||-|
|Longbow basic attack||A slower, powerful, longer range basic ranged attack. Tapping the basic attack button will shoot normally. Holding the basic attack button will charge the shot (and root the player) to cause added damage.|
|Magma Field||Erupts the earth at target location, forming a boiling pool of lava that deals fire damage to enemies per tick while periodically applying a stack of Burning to enemies within the area.||-||-|
|Meteor||Conjures a massive flaming rock before sending it hurling toward target location. Upon impact, it deals major fire damage while knocking foes flying, and then continues to roll forward for its remaining distance, dealing additional fire damage while applying stacks of Burning to enemies along its path.||-||-|
|Meteor Storm||Summons forth a Meteor Storm, dropping 3 meteors in the target location.||Adds an extra meteor.||Adds an extra meteor.|
|Piercing Shot||Fire a projectile that travels in a straight line, piercing through and damaging all enemies in its path.|
|Prismatic Beam||Spawns a giant prismatic beam of energy that can be aimed around you. Deals large damage to enemy targets.||Increased damage.||Snares hit targets.|
|Quick Shot||Ranged attack that applies a debuff to the target. Each additional quickshot against the same target does increasing damage but consumes one of three charges that regenerate over time.|
|Raining Death||Fires a dense rain of arrows 20 meters ahead, dealing high damage. Deals more damage to more distant targets.|
|Shield Assault||Bashes the target with your shield, dealing damage and applying the shaken condition. If the target is already suffering from the shaken condition, stun the target instead.|
|Shortbow basic attack||A fast, low power, short range basic ranged attack. Holding down the basic attack button will repeatedly fire.|
|Smite||Smite your target, dealing instant damage and applying a stack of Burning to target enemy. Has no cast time and deals increased damage if activated within melee range of the target. This attack always critically hits on targets under the effect of Condemn.|
|Snipe||A powerful charged attack.|
|Thundershock||Shoots forward a beam of lightning that damages enemies in a line in front of you.||Increased damage.||Now knocks down hit targets.|
|Tremoring Bellow||Releases a thundering shout in a forward cone, applying the staggered condition on enemy targets. Also stomps the ground dealing damage around the caster and tripping enemies affected by the snared condition.|
|Vine Field||Summons 3 fields of grabbing vines, one at the target location every .5s for 1.5s. Targets hit are damaged for 10% physical damage and snared for 3s, reducing their movement speed by 40%. Targets that have more than lOs of snare duration are rooted. This effect can only trigger once per target.|
|Whirlwind||Damages targets in range and applies a stagger effect.|
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:34:55).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (1:45).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (46:20).
- Livestream, February 25, 2022 (1:06:45).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:02:44).
- Video, December 2, 2022 (19:38).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:05:04).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (26:19).
- Video, August 31, 2023 (45:06).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (49:18).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (1:08:23).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (42:09).
- [to https://twitter.com/AshesofCreation/status/1571960759894286336 Twitter - Creature resistances.]
- Video, September 30, 2022 (15:28).
- Video, April 28, 2023 (22:13).
- Video, September 29, 2023 (11:29).
- Video, April 28, 2023 (7:15).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, December 23, 2020 (0:51).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (42:20).
- Video, April 28, 2023 (9:22).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, February 9, 2021 (0:37).
- Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:14:26).
- Video, November 1, 2020 (0:33).
- Video, July 28, 2023 (20:50).
- Video, April 28, 2023 (11:22).
- Video, July 28, 2023 (17:32).
- Video, November 1, 2020 (0:51).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, December 23, 2020 (1:04).
- Blog: Blazing the way - Mage Alpha One Preview.
- Video, April 28, 2023 (15:35).
- Video, March 31, 2023 (9:55).
- Video, January 27, 2023 (10:27).
- Video, January 27, 2023 (6:41).
- Video, July 28, 2023 (15:15).
- Video, December 22, 2020 (7:36).
- Video, December 23, 2020 (1:29).
- Video, April 28, 2023 (13:40).
- Livestream, September 30, 2022 (26:42).
- Video, September 30, 2022 (19:32).
- Video, September 30, 2022 (10:44).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, December 23, 2020 (1:46).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, December 23, 2020 (1:53).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (42:42).
- Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:02:59).
- Video, September 30, 2022 (16:19).
- Video, January 27, 2023 (5:07).
- Video, July 28, 2023 (29:23).
- Video, September 30, 2022 (14:27).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, December 23, 2020 (0:40).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (39:15).
- Video, January 27, 2023 (7:28).
- Video, December 2, 2022 (22:44).
- Livestream, August 27, 2021 (1:04:30).