- 3 Belt slots.
- 8 Armor slots.
- 5 Jewelry slots.
- 3 Artisan gear slots.
- 1 Artisan tool slot is used to equip gathering tools.
- There may be a specific slot for musical instruments, but this has not been finalized yet.
- Previously it was stated there were 16 gear slots.
|This section contains information from Alpha-1 testing. It will be updated when new information is made available.|
Players will have significant agency over the allocation of their stat progression.
- Base stats defined by a character's primary archetype can be improved based on gear, tattoos, and other enhancements, such as socketed items.
- There will be diminishing returns on certain stats, but there won't be hard caps.
- What a character looks like.
- Achievements and server firsts.
- Info on a player's class.
- Character's back story via journal entries (that are shared publicly by the player).
- Traits can be applied that describe a character's history.
You will have a unique homepage for each character and that homepage will be able to be customized by the user to display unique information. It will have a small out-of-game RPG component where you can construct background and traits and stuff like that. – Steven Sharif
That's part of the character sheet desire for us which hopefully will be accessible in game as well by opening a browser through our UI where you can get back history of a character that that character has input themselves into journal entries that they may choose to share with others... For role play perspective we want people to be in depth with their characters. – Steven Sharif
The player can manage what info is shown on the character page.
- Storage space is shared between characters on the same account.
- Characters on the same account are able to share player housing, including furniture and freehold workstations.
- Cosmetics can be reassigned to characters within an account, with a potential cooldown period.
- Allow testing of different builds as needed.
- Provide equipment needed to test various scenarios.
There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots on launch.
- In the future there may be a web-based or launcher-based capability to add an account as a friend, but this is not definite.
- Leveling: the act of of going out and adventuring, of killing monsters, and combat in general is the most tactile and moment-to-moment type of gameplay that you're going to experience in Ashes of Creation; and I think at every step of the way in that adventure it should be fun, and it should be something that you enjoy doing, and it should be something that's rewarding, and it should be something that teaches you more about the immersive world that you're in and allows you to follow a compelling storyline. – Steven Sharif
- Players will have the option to rush their vertical progression to level cap or spend time building infrastructure through horizontal progression.
- Experience (XP) is gained through a variety of vertical and horizontal progression paths, such as PvP, PvE, Exploration, Gathering/Processing/Crafting, Events/Quests, Grinding mobs.
- Some levels may offer more rewards than others.
- I think you can emphasize some levels more than others and that's a great way to do progression. But I think ultimately that you should see a reward for your progress or effort spent. – Steven Sharif
- As part of our ideals as a game we're not going to give boosts away. We're not going to auto-level up a character. You have to spend time acclimating yourself to what this game is, to what the world that you're part of is; and that's an investment- a time investment; and that plays towards our ideas of risk-versus-reward; and I've always said our game's not going to be for everybody and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
- If I have a skill that does a thousand damage to a target of equal level I don't want my skill to do zero damage to a target that's five levels above me. – Steven Sharif
- A player could in theory level to max level at a single node, providing that node was at a high-enough stage, but it would not be the most effective means of leveling.
- On release the developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if playing 4-6 hours per day.
- The developers estimate that players will reach level cap before a quarter of nodes reach Village (stage 3).
- Alpha-1 had progression to level 15.
- Alpha-2 expects progression to level 35 (subject to change).
Lower level characters will have usefulness in mass combat (such as Node sieges) that is not directly dependent on their level, such as manning siege weapons, helping repair fortifications, bringing proximity-based buffs to key positions, using stealth or scaling walls. These types of things are relevant to the tide of battle and do not require the player to be max-level or have high combat stats.
- The idea is not to be a game where somebody can essentially no life for a week and be max level. The idea is to incorporate some significant chunk of time but still respect the casual player, because the way we respect the casual player is not everything is driven in our game through the adventuring progression line. Not everything is driven through your class level per-se. There's a lot of different progression paths that are available and make you relevant within certain systems and mechanics within the game; and some of those paths are more casual friendly and some of those paths are more hardcore friendly. So with regards to the adventuring class, the idea is to make sure that investment needs to be pretty significant and that the reward then is respective of that investment. – Steven Sharif
- Server first achievements, such as significant boss kills.
- Guild achievements, such as guild hall ownership.
- Certain titles will unlock special abilities or stats during sieges and events.
- There will be a mix of character-based and account-based achievements.
- There may be visible items on a character that relate to Titles or Achievements.
- Players will be able to view a historical listing of mayors of a node.
- The achievement System should record things of note so that people are able to etch their name, or their guild, in the history of the server; and mayorship would be one of those things. – Steven Sharif
- It redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
- Social organizations.
- Guild castles.
- Node governments.
- Node sieges / Events
There's social organizations, there's religions, there's Mayor, there's Kings and Queens, there's Guild Leaders, there's Guild officers: All of those can incorporate particular types of titles that grant you access to certain things; and that's part of our risk versus reward. That's part of our not everybody gets a trophy. These are achievements that we want you to strive for and there's plenty of those types of achievements within the game because there's lots of nodes and there's lots of different pseudo factions that exist that you get to identify and say "Oh I'd like to do that particular thing very well and better than others." And you can strive to do so. – Steven Sharif
- Crop rotations.
- Player stalls (Kiosks).
- Mayoral duties.
- Pay taxes.
- Fishing (potentially).
- Parlor games (Tavern games).
- World event notifications.
- Node citizenship notifications.
- Player housing notifications.
- Guild leadership tools such as calendar notifications is a possible feature.
- Specific dates that you can have running as reminders in your guild UI, this will also be something that I would like to be available on the mobile companion app as well. So essentially you can receive notifications via a calendar update on guild events that the leaders or the officers have the ability to pin within the game will also give you notifications on the mobile app as well. That's my intention at least. – Steven Sharif
- Some of it may come post-launch... but we do want people to interact with the game on their phones when they're away from the computer; and we're going to do as much as we can to make that cool. – Jeffrey Bard
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (46:15).
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:08:55).
- Livestream, September 30, 2022 (49:16).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (40:50).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (47:57).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (16:32).
- Livestream, May 31, 2023 (48:11).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (24:54).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (31:30).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Video, November 30, 2023 (19:06).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:17:34).
- Video, November 30, 2023 (9:36).
- Livestream, September 29, 2023 (1:08:25).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (47:13).
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (25:39).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (15:21).
- Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:40:48).
- Livestream, May 30, 2017 (16:25).
- Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:27:42).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:02:08).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (13:59).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (28:50).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (6:30).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (18:25).
- Podcast, May 4, 2017 (51:52).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (1:04:16).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:17:40).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (19:15).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (32:07).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (57:00).
- Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:10:16).
- Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:05:58).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (23:15).
- Livestream, October 31, 2023 (5:27).
- Podcast, July 15, 2023 (13:51).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (2:53:53).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (1:55).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (46:27).
- Livestream, May 27, 2022 (1:11:10).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:33:37).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:24:58).
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (48:27).
- Livestream, September 27, 2018 (52:41).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:34:55).
- Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:06:34).
- Podcast, July 15, 2023 (11:21).
- Livestream, December 15, 2017 (58:48).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (1:07:59).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (19:25).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- Livestream, January 28, 2022 (15:35).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (1:12:51).
- Livestream, September 29, 2023 (1:05:44).
- Livestream, May 15, 2017 (44:10).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:52:45).
- Livestream, July 9, 2018 (47:17).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (59:23).
- Livestream, May 22, 2017 (28:02).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (1:35:08).
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (23:29).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (37:17).
- Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:20:48).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (58:18).
- Livestream, September 27, 2018 (55:39).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (9:49).
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (30:18).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (11:00).
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (54:09).
- Livestream, May 9, 2017 (28:57).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (11:53).
- Podcast, November 15, 2020 (52:50).