Battle Royale Guide
|Battle Royale Guide|
|Next Test||Friday, October 5|
Battle Royale is a special PvP arena designed specifically for Alpha 1, Phase 1 testing. There are no plans to incorporate this arena permanently into Ashes of Creation. For those unfamiliar to battle royale gameplay, all players enter the arena and fight to the death until there is only a single victor at the end. There are no respawns.
Currently, there is a visual NDA imposed on the content of the alpha. Except for posting in the official alpha 1 bug reporting forum, no gameplay images or videos can be shared or posted anywhere else. Once the NDA is lifted, we'll update this guide with actual in-game images and video clips.
There are no classes to select from. Your skills and abilities are based on the weapons and armor you equip and use.
|Health||100||100||The amount of health points you have. Once this hits 0, you die.||Outside the zone, you lose health and armor. It varies based on size.|
|Mana||0||1000||Mana is used to repair armor and gain ranged weapon ammo.|| Repairing armor and using ranged weapons.
|Stamina||100||100||Stamina is required melee combat, jumping, dodging, and RMB + LMB combos.|| Jump, Attack, Charge attack
|Armor Durability||0||100||Adds protection against damage hits, before it affects health.||
||When hit armor gets used first, outside the red zone you lose health and armor at the same time.|
Weapons and skills
NOTE: Higher rarities add slightly more damage.
|Rusty Sword||Short Sword||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Paladin's Might||Sword/Shield||For the duration of this stance, you will take cover behind your shield's enhanced position.||10s||10s|
|Greatsword of Haste||2H Sword||For the duration of this stance, your successful attacks will increase your run speed.||10s||10s|
|Stillblade||Short Sword||Slows enemy movement speed every hit.||10s||10s||Snares as well|
|Lifebringer||Polearm||Steals health when you hit an enemy.||10s||10s||Very Good! Uses 10 stamina on Q activation, and drains 10 stamina every second.|
|Spiritpierce||Spear||Depletes enemy stamina every hit.||10s||10s||Extremely Good! Enemies can’t hit you if they don’t have stamina to swing their weapon. Uses 10 stamina on Q activation, and drains 10 stamina every second.|
|Archmage's Companion||Staff||This spell will invoke a destructive cone of force and flame at enemies in front of you.||1s||10s||Good Base Damage, Slow Swing, Q ability does 15 Damage in a cone in front of you. One of the Farthest Dash Range.|
|Essence Reaper||Great Axe||Manasteal: For the duration of this stance, your attacks will steal mana from y our foes, and render it unto you.||10s||10s|
|Thundering Mace||Mace||Activate to charge your attacks with lightning - each hit can then arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.||10s||10s|
|Bonesmasher||Greatmace||Hemorrhage: For the duration of this stance, any hit will apply a debuff to your enemies, dealing damage to them with every step they take. The debuff causes 3 damage every 30s while the enemy moves.||10s||10s|
|The Rifter||Scepter||For the duration of this spell, any successful hit will swap your location with that of your target.||10s||10s|
|Nightfall||Short Bow||When activated, your next arrow will explode in a cloud of darkness on impact.||10s||20s|
|Wand of Light||Wand||Tags the target player with a beam of light, which can be seen by others.||15s||30s||Very Good, Fast Firing|
|Longbow of Miasma||Longbow||After you activate this spell, your next arrow will summon a dark miasma that clings to any foes that touch it, dealing damage over time.||10s||10s||Can kill you if you shoot at yourself?|
|Crossbow of Revealing||Crossbow||After activating this spell, the next bolt you fire will reveal all characters hidden by terrain, structures, or invisibility in its area of effect.||10s||20s|
|Firefrost||Potion Launcher||Swap your explosive potion for a potion of frost. It will burst on the first bounce, leaving an area of bitter cold that slows your enemies.||10s||30s||Explosive shots explode after roughly 4 seconds, and don't need to bounce to explode, also direct shots on players explode instantly.|
|Grimoire of the Fallen Sky||Spellbook||Chaos Meteor: When Chaos Meteor explodes, it breaks into 2-5 magical shards, each of which has a random effect across a very large area.||10s||10s|
Armors and skills
There are currently only 2 armor pieces available, with each having their own special ability:
- Boots (there is also legs but they are the same slot as boots).
- To equip a piece of armor you need to select it on your hotbar and press LMB.
Each armor piece has a durability value, which is the amount of damage absorbed before impacting your health. Higher armor tiers offer a higher initial durability. Incoming damage is absorbed equally across both armor pieces (if you're wearing both). Armor currently does NOT reduce hit damage. It's more like an extended HP bar.
Armor durability is restored by pressing either F1 (for breastplate) or F2 (for boots), which costs 2 mana per 5 durability.
Note: Since health potions are rare, it is recommended to restore your armor durability at the earliest opportunity.
Special Ability = C • Restore Durability = F1
|Invisibility Aegis||Invisibility: This spell turns you invisible for the duration, though it will cancel upon attacking, repairing armor, or through the use of any other spells.||60s||120s|
|Breastplate of Darkpact||For the duration of this spell, you will be immune to the effects of the corruption storm(Red Zone).||10s||45s|
|Breastplate of the Bulwark||Bulwark: This spell will instantly summon a wall a short distance in front of the caster. Perfect for deploying as cover! The wall is ~15 feet wide and 1 player high.||10s||45s|
|Polymorph Breastplate||Transform yourself into a harmless inanimate object, and disappear into the local terrain, will cancel on movement or attack.||30s||45s|
Special Ability = V • Restore Durability = F2
|Boots of Arcanic Power||Channel raw arcane energies to instantly knock nearby foes back, deal damage, and give yourself some breathing room.||1s||30s|
|Blink Boots||Teleports you forward ~25 feet.||1s||30s|
|Catfall Boots||Active to grant yourself exceptional jumping abilities, silent moving, and protection from falling damage for the duration.||30s||30s|
|Boots of Icy Steps||With this spell. you will leave icy trails behind you, which will snare and slow your enemies.||20s||30s|
- Melee Weapons
- The two spears are generally regarded as the best.
- Ranged Weapons
- The Wand of Light powerful at close range while the Bow and Crossbow are both strong at varied ranges.
- Chest Abilities
- Invisibility for all around usefulness and Darkpact for zone immunity at the endgame are good. Catfall Boots for evasion due to being very hard to hit with ranged and mostly immune to melee while jumping are strong while Blink Boots are good for closing gaps and escaping melee combat.
- Example Load Out
- 1 or 2 Spears, 1 ranged Weapon, 1 potion, and Catfall boots, with the Blink boots in your inventory. After activating Catfall, you can switch boots. Being able to Blink while having Catfall active is a huge gap closer.
- Passive Load out
- 1 Weapon, 1 invisibility plate, 2 or 3 Darkpact plates, Blink or Catfall to evade hits. (This loadout works if you are down to the last circle, you can active 1 darkpact chest, and then switch. Prefer a ranged weapon to shoot the other person still in the zone).
- HP potions
- HP potions are found as small, medium, and large and are stored on your hotbar, up to 3.Small heal 25, Medium 50, and Large 100.
- Take 5 seconds to consume.
- MP potions
- MP potions are immediately picked up and add to your mana bar. They are found in 20, 40, and 60 amounts.
- Instantly consumed on pick up.
- Mount potions exist but are unreliable and very rare. Try to avoid.
- There are building schematics that deploy like port-a-fort structures in Fortnite. Can be destroyed, no gravity on structures, If you destroy foundations walls stay intact.
- Take 5 seconds to consume.
- Destructible environments
- Some structures including certain types of walls, floors, and bridges can be destroyed by melee weapons or projectile hits. Other structures are immune. Generally surfaces that have the same texture/material react the same to destruction.
- Fall damage
- Some relatively light fall damage exists currently. Fall damage starts around the equivalent of jumping off the 4th story of a building, (around ~10 dmg/hp loss)
- Footsteps have varied loudness depending upon the surface over which the character is walking or running. Grass is very quiet while other surfaces such as wood can be rather loud.
- Getting out of the vortex
- When falling at the start of the match, you will be in a swirling pink vortex, press spacebar for an early exit from the vortex.
- Double damage (only ranged? Need testing)
- Hit indicator
- There is a red hit indicator showing the direction damage comes from and there are damage numbers that appear above your target upon dealing damage. There are also damage numbers that appear above your own character when damage is received.
- Yellow numbers are damage done to armor. Red numbers is health loss. Sometimes you will see both when the damage lands.
- Power attack
- Using the RMB + LMB combo can be used to get out of crevices in which you are stuck.
- Using power attack while running greatly increases movement. Use when you know you’re safe from any combat and get around quicker. Jumping before using this combo allows a larger movement forward.
- Do not use power attack in fights unless to guarantee a finish. Power attack leaves you on global CD for 1-2 seconds, the player can react and get 2-3 hits in before you can swing again.
- Pressing shift twice will perform a dodge roll.
- The zone moves at variable rates depending upon how far the game has progressed and how small the circle has become. The zone does damage over time to the player’s health. Later zones increase the tick, final zone ticks for 15 every second(maybe half-second) damage received from staying in the zone. The last zone is notably fast in how it shrinks.
There is a visual guide in the official email that testers received along with their credentials, it is under "gameplay overview", be aware of it.
- Do not spam space to leave the vortex, you will fall instantly and die.
- No Breath, can stay underwater infinite amount of time.
- Sprinting and rolling by double tapping Shift are very unreliable and only work around half the time.
- Your own footsteps can be heard behind you.
- Do not press E while on griffin, as it is the dismount key and will knock you off.
- Not sure if this affects everyone, sometimes you get the red hit indicator as if you were taking damage appearing on your screen without taking any damage (I found it appear when someone used the ability of the Staff and the kill came into the feed, not sure if this is related)
- Pressing G while in Game will cause your camera to bug out going into "first person" with no fix.