- The maximum number of skills a player can have on their action bar will be around 15-20.
- There will be an option to include multiple action bars (hotbars) on a player's UI. For example: One Fighter will be different from another based on what active skills they have chosen.
- Some people like to have a very minimalistic number of hot bars. They don't need necessarily to have three, four, five hot bars that are available; but some people do like that: They want to have all their items listed on their hotbar as well as their abilities, as well as as their mounts, as well as anything that they can essentially interact with as an icon. – Steven Sharif
- Players are not given skills as they level up, they must choose what skills they take.
- There is no spellbook requiring memorization.
There will be multiple hot-bars that you obviously have available, because you're going to have consumables, you're going to have active skills and whatnot. But the number of active skills are not going to overwhelm necessarily the character and be irrelevant especially at certain stages. – Steven Sharif
- Users will be able to quickly customize UI elements on-the-fly to suit the PvX nature of the game and different styles of combat.
- Customization of UI elements, especially there on the HUD is a top desired aspect of our UI team. – Steven Sharif
- Users will be able to save and load UI profiles, such as switching to a custom UI profile for raids.
- One of the first things we did when we were starting to block in the very base features of our HUD editor was talking about saving and loading profiles. We're going to have options for, when I'm in a raid automatically change my UI to this UI. – Colby Marchi
- The user interface in Alpha-2 will have options to support hover-over casting and double-tap application of AoE effects on the cursor location.
- One of the big goals of our UI team and our design team is to accommodate a whole host of different types of user options that they're capable of setting, because we all have different play styles; and in that regard those include things like hover-over casting, double-tap application of AoE effects on cursor location- just a lot of different options, because people like to play different ways. – Steven Sharif
- It's very important to note that in Alpha 1 you are not going to see a solid UI presentation and that's because our UI currently is still very placeholder very work-in-progress. – Steven Sharif
- Our mantra is really solid defaults, so most people won't need to touch anything, but then the customization for everybody who wants to. – Colby Marchi
- Selecting different UI flavors.
- Resizing, moving, recoloring UI components.
- There will be an option to include multiple action bars (hotbars) on a player's UI.
- Text sizes, text boldness.
- Combat text, such as damage, criticals and crowd-control.
- Target reticles appearances may be offered.
- Combat targeting templates and decals may be offered.
- Adjusting screen shake.
- User interface scale adjustments may be provided.
- Nameplates can be hidden, resized, and customized.
- Saving and loading UI profiles, such as switching to a custom UI profile for raids.
- User interface settings are saved locally.
- User interface layouts will likely not be able to be shared between players.
Various display elements can be toggled on or off.
- Character names.
- Guild names.
- Enemy names.
- Party names.
- Alliance members.
- Particle effects and rendering.
- Effects bloom and brightness.
- Effect elements and channels.
- Motion blur will be togglable on and off.
- We'll have certain features from a scalability setting standpoint that will allow players to even further tone down both the bloom and brightness of these types of effects has. Also in addition some of the elements and channels of those effects as well. – Steven Sharif
- Later stages of game polish will address quality-of-life issues, such as foliage blocking the player's camera.
- We will not allow players to to adjust the density of foliage actors in the world. That will be universal... There are going to be areas that are more dense than others. It's meant to be part of the a part of the world that players can utilize for certain purposes, like hiding in for PvP. However, there will be collision with those foliage actors and the player capsule. So as you might see that bush moving and think, "Huh that's odd. That doesn't look like wind. There must be something there." And that's the immersion that we want. – Steven Sharif
- Keybinds were not yet adjustable (in Alpha-1).
- Action targeting can be toggled via a key to enable mouse targeting via a reticle that feels similar to a third-person action game.
- Players will be able to trigger skills with combinations of different keystrokes, and reuse the same keys as part of different combinations.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse included hotkey customization.
The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters. – Steven Sharif
- User interface elements will utilize textures and icons to distinguish them, in addition to color.
- My decision is not to allow DPS meters nor add-ons. I feel we have adequate measures in place to prevent a majority of potential third party trackers. I know this subject has passionate voices on both sides and I respect the various opinions and positions many of you have expressed. – Steven Sharif
- The developers do not want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.
- The developers believe that DPS meters (parsers) can cause toxicity and other negative behaviors.
- What role DPS meters provide in online communities that I've noticed in the past my experiences: they can be a bit toxic, they can be a bit exclusionary; and that's why we don't want the DPS meters. – Steven Sharif
- Threat meters will also not be present in the game. There will instead be visual in-game queues to indicate threat.
- Meters in my opinion are a removal from the game immersion; and what I mean by that isn't necessarily even the fact that having the meter takes you out of the game per-se, but it is- there's a lot of diegetic approach that you can take that doesn't rely on UI elements like a meter to indicate how you should do a thing; and when you're not utilizing those types of meters you can do different types of strategies and encounter design. You can have things that can be more subtle and aren't going to be immediately given away by a meter indicating something; and that's the type of gameplay that we think that I believe we want to emphasize; and for that reason, we're not going to be including threat meters. What we will be including however are animation indicators. We're going to be including ability indicators to show the tank "hey I might be losing aggro here." I'm observing in the world these immersive elements that are not tied to any specific type of UI, but indicate to me that this monster might be moving off to attack somebody else in a very immediate future; and now I should be using the abilities that I'm saving to regain that aggro, or to lock them down with a taunt or something. That to me is a bit more representative of the type of gameplay we want to to bring in our encounter design. – Steven Sharif
- There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.
- The design of the game API is still under consideration.
User interface commands
|This section contains information from Alpha-1 testing. It will be updated when new information is made available.|
||Simulates a dice roll.|
||Textual emote. Example: |
|Invite a character to join your guild.|
|Add a character to your friends list.|
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:21:03).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:24:29).
- Livestream, May 3, 2017 (15:15).
- Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:41:42).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (57:45).
- Livestream, May 3, 2017 (17:59).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (9:02).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (53:48).
- Livestream, November 16, 2017 (30:02).
- Livestream, May 19, 2017 (43:09).
- Video, July 28, 2023 (37:19).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:27:01).
- Video, May 31, 2023 (0:37).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (3:34).
- Livestream, May 5, 2017 (20:02).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (28:45).
- Livestream, December 2, 2022 (1:00:30).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (29:09).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (20:11).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (48:03).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (5:06).
- Video, June 30, 2022 (16:39).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (26:11).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (1:31:47).
- Livestream, May 31, 2023 (43:04).
- Video, June 30, 2022 (24:18).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:22:48).
- Livestream, December 2, 2022 (1:03:28).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (53:05).
- Livestream, September 3, 2017 (58:29).
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:03:41).
- Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:07:12).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (1:07:51).
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (43:35).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:10:19).
- Livestream, April 28, 2023 (53:09).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:10:22).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (27:38).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (27:53).
- Intrepid Studios Snapchat, 2018-11-30.
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (21:24).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (18:04).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (30:36).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (52:42).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (34:51).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:19:29).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - No Damage Meter?
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (20:02).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (6:29).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:28:19).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (49:03).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (21:41).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (39:48).
- The specific implementation of the / command is TBD.
- Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:02:22).
- Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:09:38).